AC SUX HP

streethorse

15 Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Dallas Texas
My AC really drags down the power. I dont use it much like a lot of people
who leave it on non stop when the outside temp is over 70 degrees.
A riced out civic could probably kick my ass while the AC is on.
Feels like I have 2 large bags of manure in the trunk. :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

somethings wrong then. you should only feel a "slight" difference in power, if that.

i know on my 91 GSX i can definately tell when the AC is on, feels like im dragging and anchor, so naturally i have to use more throttle input to spool the turbo more to get moving. however my GT i dont have to change my driving style at all when the AC is on.

My AC really drags down the power. I dont use it much like a lot of people
who leave it on non stop when the outside temp is over 70 degrees.
A riced out civic could probably kick my ass while the AC is on.
Feels like I have 2 large bags of manure in the trunk. :mad:

When you stomp the pedal to the floor and go WOT the AC shuts off so it wouldn't matter if you had it on/off while racing...

Oh my God does it rob power like a mofo. I only use the AC when crusing on the highway. Once I'm in the city it turns off. I can't stand the loss of power. Feels like I lose 2 cylinders.

+1

Mine has always been really bad. It just loses so much power. I always wondered why I can't feel the loss in my 2.0l focus 4cly, but on my 4.6l v8 it feel like I drop about 20hp...

Makes me wonder if swapping A/C compressors might be an option?

Riley

When you stomp the pedal to the floor and go WOT the AC shuts off so it wouldn't matter if you had it on/off while racing...

True, but running the A/C for an extended period of time causes a lot of heat to build up under the hood...especially if you are idling around in city traffic on a 95 degree day.

Yes it's true that the A/C turns off when you go WOT, but at that point the engine is so heat-soaked that it's still going to be slightly sluggish.

My A/C robs a TON of power. That's why i hate using it. Starting from a stop slipping the clutch requires a little more finess. Then when i'm cruising around it feels like i lost 50HP.

If i'm in traffic it's worse. I find that i need to cruise on the highway for a little bit with the a/c off to cool things down to the point where my car is as peppy as usual.

My friends have said the same thing with their Mustangs

mine is actually EASIER to drive around in traffic with the A/C on lol.. and i can feel a hit but its nothing like it was on my 86 fiero gt... that thing would actually go from 70 down to like 63 just when the compressor kicked on lol

dudes i hate to say it but im all stock, and i drove it all day today and used the ac at different times and i still have not felt a difference doing the same kind of driving. and i have 90k on the clock. my mileage suffers when the ac is on, not my performance, nor do i have to give it any additional input to get up to speed.

dudes i hate to say it but im all stock, and i drove it all day today and used the ac at different times and i still have not felt a difference doing the same kind of driving. and i have 90k on the clock. my mileage suffers when the ac is on, not my performance, nor do i have to give it any additional input to get up to speed.

Everyone I know with a Mustang says the AC robs power like a mofo. Maybe you got a lucky one. When driving my Explorer and Monte Carlo I can't tell the difference. My old Ranger had a slight loss of power but it wasn't as bad as my Mustang. The Mustang is just horrible.

It does rob power. I found that after installing the underdrive pullies, it's hardly noticable now. And the a/c won't hurt your gas milage as much then either. A real benefit of underdrive pullies that doesn't seem to get mentioned. Don't go with the piggy back type though.