AC tech's I need your help

Story: Around town and w/the AC on or off the temp gauge NEVER goes above the O on the NORMAL gauge. Air blows cold. However, at highway speeds w/the air off the care runs at or near the same area. HOWEVER, as soon as I turn on the air (lets say between 70-85mph) the gauge immediately skyrockets to the A on the NORMAL gauge,,fan kicks on, and settles down.

I did get a free AC check and the main line that runs on the drivers side of the manifold does have a small AC oil leak and I was told that I am low on freon. (BTW do our cars use the 22 or R134 refrigerant??)

A home AC guy told me that if a car is low on freon that it makes the compressor work that much harder which in turn makes the car get warmer. True? Not true?

Now, I do have UD pullies on and am only bypassing the smog pump. I dont think it's a slippage issue at highway speeds. Could it be my radiator is not working as it should or is it the low freon issue. Anyone else w/these problems? Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
I believe we use the R12 freon unless it's been converted to R134. Low freon will keep the a/c compressor turning on/off constantly making the engine work harder. If the belt was slipping your volt gauge would drop as well I would think.
wyt- its R134 cause it says it on my rad cover (that black plastic thing) and on a sticker some the hood, and on one of the a/c lines actually.......

harley-ive got that line for ya still.......

What is the part named that goes and turns the compressor on? I don't have 12 V at the compressor and it NEVER runs. The A/C ran last week until I fiddled under the dash, now it is broke and hot as ............

I fidled under the dash but I son't know what could be keeping it off, vacuum, fuse?

CBZGT50 said:
What is the part named that goes and turns the compressor on? I don't have 12 V at the compressor and it NEVER runs. The A/C ran last week until I fiddled under the dash, now it is broke and hot as ............

I fidled under the dash but I son't know what could be keeping it off, vacuum, fuse?

There is a pressure sensor on the accumulator. If it doesn't detect refridgerant then it won't let the compressor come on. If the sensor is bad, the compressor won't come on. If the switch inside the car is bad, it won't let the compressor turn on. Start with the sensor, and unplug it, and use a jumper wire and connect the two terminals on the wire plug. If the compressor turns on, the switch inside the car is good, and you are out of refridgerant or the pressure sensor is bad. Test the system for pressure.

If it still doesn't come on do a continuity test between the connector at the a/c and the connector at the pressure sensor. 1 wire should have continuity. If it does, your interior panel is bad or wiring to the pressure sensor.

Back on topic, check to see if your freon level is low. if it is, find/fix the leak and refill the system. Shoudl take care of teh problem.
Scott