access the black box?

Stang|ess

seeking cyber partner(s)
Oct 18, 2003
Hawaii
long story short, the shop had my car for 7 days, I believe there are 30 more miles on my car, they disconnected the battery (trip odo was reset, and when I got in the cd player shuffles), and they were "washing" my car for 2 hours, but I got the car back warmed up.

I want to know if I can pull any info up on how it was driven in the last few days. I'm pretty sure my car was under 29k when I dropped it off, and when I got it back, it was at 29,018. I'm not too sure because they had the car for so damn long, just to remount my damn spoiler.

• Sponsors (?)

let me finish the above post...when my car was in the body shop, they had some people that did their detailing, and they were all the way across town....they may have just taken it out because they could, but there may be a reason....??

Stang|ess said:
long story short, the shop had my car for 7 days, I believe there are 30 more miles on my car, they disconnected the battery (trip odo was reset, and when I got in the cd player shuffles), and they were "washing" my car for 2 hours, but I got the car back warmed up.

I want to know if I can pull any info up on how it was driven in the last few days. I'm pretty sure my car was under 29k when I dropped it off, and when I got it back, it was at 29,018. I'm not too sure because they had the car for so damn long, just to remount my damn spoiler.

Why didn't you just write down the mileage when you dropped it off?
I'm pretty sure your car doesn't have a black box, with telemetry and cockpit voice recording if that's what you are looking for....

Unless your car has obvious damage, tires are now bald, runs like crap... I wouldn't worry about it. You'll spend more time and effort trying to "CSI" this thing than what it's worth. What happens if you magically prove that they drove it around the block? Are you gonna charge them a flat fee per mile like a rental car company? Are you gonna prove that the slight rough idle when cold is due to them driving your car around the block? Are you gonna have them replace your tires with identical ones that have 1/32" more tread than what you had? I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying it's not worth the trouble you'll have to go through to build a case.

propellerhead said:
Unless your car has obvious damage, tires are now bald, runs like crap... I wouldn't worry about it. You'll spend more time and effort trying to "CSI" this thing than what it's worth. What happens if you magically prove that they drove it around the block? Are you gonna charge them a flat fee per mile like a rental car company? Are you gonna prove that the slight rough idle when cold is due to them driving your car around the block? Are you gonna have them replace your tires with identical ones that have 1/32" more tread than what you had? I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying it's not worth the trouble you'll have to go through to build a case.

I was thinking the same thing. its not worth it really, but I just want to know.

guess its really time to buy a sct and spring for the rev limiter tune.

only 05+ have a black box? thought we all did.

Here's a spoiler mount story. My friend bought a new G35 sport coupe(Infinity). Had the spoiler mounted Mon April 24. Gets a call the car was scratched and has to be painted. Goes to pick up the car Fri...the agency tells him the car was left outside during the night and the pass. window is broken and the wheels were stolen. Car is still on stands and might be ready tomorrow if insurance co. ok's it.(tomorrow 5/4) Car is 3weeks old..100mi.
If you got your car back ok...enjoy it. In the future mark the odometer when you drop it off for any kind of service.

Mustang5L5 said:
Only 05+ Mustangs have the black box i beleive

My '04's owners manual specifically mentions some sort of module that records certain things positions,etc, if the vehicle is in an accident. It mentions vehicle speed, accelerator position, brake position, steering position, RPM, etc.

It'd be cool if someone invented an aftermarket tool you could use to access it, or if someone got the schematic from Ford to make copy-cats.

:shrug:

I never knew we had one of those in our cars.. that's kinda cool actually :D

I gotta drop my car off at the shop tomorrow while i'm at work. I'm writing down the exact mileage for the odometer and trip odometer. I don't feel like putting up with anyone taking it for a joy ride, that stuff pisses me off... Kinda like when the Ford Stealership took a dr's Ford GT for a joyride to "test the radio".. Guess they had to see if the radio still works fine at high speeds :rolleyes:

Dusstbuster said:
looks like you at least have one, according to this it looks like all 2000+ Mustangs have one.

The possibility of you getting a reading on it are probably sketchy though.

that only saves a recording in the event of air bag deployment and has nothing that would keep a running track of mileage.

there is no module that will give you the info you are looking for. None of the modules record normal data for later use.. only if there is a issue with the car and even then it's just a snap shot of some of the values the PCM was seeing at the time of the fault. there is a flight recorder we can use to record data but that is somthign we hook up to the car and then drive it. it's not somthign built into the car and even that onty records a small amount of data and none of it is anything to do with the mileage.

jasonh_86 said:
I never knew we had one of those in our cars.. that's kinda cool actually :D

I gotta drop my car off at the shop tomorrow while i'm at work. I'm writing down the exact mileage for the odometer and trip odometer. I don't feel like putting up with anyone taking it for a joy ride, that stuff pisses me off... Kinda like when the Ford Stealership took a dr's Ford GT for a joyride to "test the radio".. Guess they had to see if the radio still works fine at high speeds :rolleyes:

You will have to request that the car NOT be test driven when you write it up. depending on the problem the car might have to be driven. We are required to drive the car before and after repairs are made, and I know I would not do a driveablity or chasis or brake repair without testing the car after, even if the customer did not want me to drive it.. I just would refuse to work on it.

I think your dealer should not have a problem with no road test for things like a oil change or a radio repair but anything driveablitiy or suspension or brake related we have to drive it.

wasn't really looking for mileage, but rather rpm, and speed info.

next time I'm going to write down the info on 2 post its. leave 1 near the odo, and keep the other with me.

oh yeah, they did a ****ty job remounting it. apparently they're too inept to properly use double sided tape, so they decided to glue it down. I'm going to sell this wing and get my 1 piece mounted :mad:.

Stang|ess said:
wasn't really looking for mileage, but rather rpm, and speed info.

next time I'm going to write down the info on 2 post its. leave 1 near the odo, and keep the other with me.

oh yeah, they did a ****ty job remounting it. apparently they're too inept to properly use double sided tape, so they decided to glue it down. I'm going to sell this wing and get my 1 piece mounted :mad:.

there is nothing that datalogs that info for you thats built into the car. If your concerned about people beating on your car I suggest you get a tune made for your car that limits the rpm's these valet tunes do the trick and will prevent somebody from beating on your car.

svttech76 said:
there is nothing that datalogs that info for you thats built into the car. If your concerned about people beating on your car I suggest you get a tune made for your car that limits the rpm's these valet tunes do the trick and will prevent somebody from beating on your car.

I would have gotten one a while ago, but MPH doesn't like to respond to my emails, or answer my phone calls :(.

My story:

I was young (16) and took my car to Ford to have my hood painted, side view mirrors painted, and to have a leak around the window fixed. Well, at the time, I had a big sticker on the rear window of a tachometer plus my car is bright yellow ... there were not many like it around at the time. Well, my friend calls me up (on the 8th day they had my car) and says to me What's up? I just saw you on the other side of town .. whatcha doin out there? I was PISSED!!! So my brother and I drove to the Ford stealership because I knew where my car was parked and I wanted to make sure it was there. IT WASN'T! So basically my car was ragged for who knows how long during that 8 day period. So, I go to pick it up and already had a story lined up for their ass. The service guy pulls my car around and it was FILTHY! Dirt all inside, on the floor, ceiling, every damn where. I said to him "I know someone was driving my car and I am not paying for the work you did" He says "nobody drove your car .. blah blah blah" .. Long story short, I told him I had written down my miles and took a picture (then looked at the current miles and subtracted like 300 in my head) and told him that I had X amount of miles then vs. now. I got $1500 worth of work for FREE.

Now, since then, I haven't and never ever ever ever will take my car back to ANY dealership EVER!!! I have learned how to do just about everything myself because of the principle of PEOPLE taking my car like that.

Now for the ironic part. Three years later, I am working at a Chevrolet dealership in the service department. One of our service writers quit and they got a new guy. It was the damn guy from the Ford service dept that three years ago told me "nobody drove your car". I confronted him and asked him about it ... he told me "yeah, those morons drove it .. pissed me off" I said WTF???? And that is how it goes. :flag: :rolleyes:

I don't know if that will help you any, but it was a ****ty experience I thought I'd share.