Added BBK Long tube/BBK no cat X/Pypes Cat - weird sounds

fitnage

May 26, 2020
columbus
Hey Everyone,

I have a 03 Mach 1.

I just added BBK Long tube/BBK no cat X/Pypes Violator Cat.

Weird sounds appeared....I replaced the header gaskets with percy's aluminum..thinking it was a leak. Same exact sound.

Before headers...no sounds i could hear.

Here is the before sound.

View: https://youtu.be/01PwmSv9ozc

After

View: https://youtu.be/pNAd8_260sQ

Any help would be appreciated.

***FYI...I added MSD Blaster coils and JLT Cold air as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

Ehhh...this is my toy. Adjusters today....engine tomorrow....ehh...its all fun and games. I enjoy working on the car. I'm just an IT guy goofing around in my spare time. Thanks for the advice.
XQzH4ElvRim3KkgPxWfTtw.jpg

So lash adjusters were replaced. Only 1 looked damaged....but none were collapsed. Fired up the car and the exact same sound. I will try and record it once i get the fuel rails situation worked out. Needless to say, I am disappointed this did not solve the problem. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an old school guy,always have to look at the last thing changed or worked on.My opinion is your noise is in the exhaust , this is common sense since your before video was o.k. Find leak fix leak move on.

Reactions: 1 user
A mechanic’s stethoscope is cheap at HFT and is almost priceless in chasing down noises. A long screwdriver with the fat end to your ear works as a touch sound probe, but it looks goofy and I worry about the other end hitting a moving part and ending up a yearly Darwin Award winner.
It sounds like valve train noise to me, but injectors and accessory drive items can make similar sounds.

I used a mechanics stethoscope today. It is actually quite amazing. I really feel (hear) what is going on inside where I was touching. I used it over the valve cover bolts and on bolts and other things around the timing chain(s) areas.

The passenger side valves and timing areas sound super quiet. The drivers front valve covers have some noise...the front 2 sets had the most "clicking".

Maybe valve guides.

I will spend some time trying to hear the noise in the stethoscope at the same time hearing the exhaust out the back. Seems like a challenge.

I do think this will be my new go to tool for noises....I am not a fan of odd noises. Unfortunately....this Ford seems a bit on the weird noise side at the moment....and how can you hear anything with all that racket those Ford injectors make. Good grief they are noisy.

Thanks for the advice and I plan to post as I go. See what the next thing brings in the saga of the weird noise.

Reactions: 1 user