Added power for ‘86

You are heading down the exact same road I took.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd just build another motor and prewire it for one of today's tuning solutions.

Seriously.. I did the bone stock 86 and threw every mod at the top end that it would take (including TFS heads and cam). I cheated the sht out of SD for a couple of years before doing the conversion. On and on and I still have the A9L I initially converted to. It's the weakest link in my engine combo. LoL

Build a new motor from the junkyard and get it ready for a drop-in fit. That's my recommendation. Should save a ton of time, money, and headache.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

You are heading down the exact same road I took.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd just build another motor and prewire it for one of today's tuning solutions.

Seriously.. I did the bone stock 86 and threw every mod at the top end that it would take (including TFS heads and cam). I cheated the sht out of SD for a couple of years before doing the conversion. On and on and I still have the A9L I initially converted to. It's the weakest link in my engine combo. LoL

Build a new motor from the junkyard and get it ready for a drop-in fit. That's my recommendation. Should save a ton of time, money, and headache.
I’m glad you brought this up, because I really have contemplated doing a separate motor. If for nothing more than it will let me keep driving the car while I do it. And also the “I built the motor” factor. Money not a concern, this is really what I’d love to do.
Knowing myself though, I feel like it will get far too expensive than what I am ready for, so I started to look down the other, possibly less expensive path of just upgrading what I have.
When you say junkyard motor……. How many of these motors really still exist in the junkyards?

I’m glad you brought this up, because I really have contemplated doing a separate motor. If for nothing more than it will let me keep driving the car while I do it. And also the “I built the motor” factor. Money not a concern, this is really what I’d love to do.
Knowing myself though, I feel like it will get far too expensive than what I am ready for, so I started to look down the other, possibly less expensive path of just upgrading what I have.
When you say junkyard motor……. How many of these motors really still exist in the junkyards?
Not if you plan it [first]. Know what you're going to build before you pull the trigger on the first part.

Start with a list of requirements
Break that list down into wants and requirements
Build from the requirements and toss some of the low hanging wants in

Storyboard the build if you must! (this helps)