Adding Factory Look Air Conditioning to 70 Without It

hooligan169

Jul 30, 2019
Kentucky
My daughter & I picked up a 70 coupe earlier this week. It did not come with factory air conditioning. How hard would it be to add it in regarding to the vents? I'm thinking it is a different dash pad, the center vents and the two smaller vents on the lower sides. Is there any difficult ducking to run? I'm hoping to keep it looking stock.

• Sponsors (?)

For a 1970, a vintage air conditioning system could easily have been be a below dash, add on one. Unless you want to spend a lot of time and money collecting Ford used and new parts, a place like Vintage Air will save a lot of time with a smaller unit that works better. It is not cheap, but that it should fit and be complete is a major advantage.

My daughter & I picked up a 70 coupe earlier this week. It did not come with factory air conditioning. How hard would it be to add it in regarding to the vents? I'm thinking it is a different dash pad, the center vents and the two smaller vents on the lower sides. Is there any difficult ducking to run? I'm hoping to keep it looking stock.
Hi hooligan. My girlfriends dad is having me sell his complete 100% stock a/c unit from his '70 mustang. Have you gotten a system for the car yet? if not i can send you more information on this.

I did the same swap a few years back on a 69 (very similar layout) The whole dash panel is different with A/C with the vents built into the lower corners and the center vent above the radio. I was able to find a junked 69 with A/C and swapped dash panels. The dash pad for A/C has the center vent in it, but you can cut the hole in a non A/C if you don't want to replace it. I went with an under dash unit from Vintage Auto Air. It is slightly smaller than OEM and more efficient. I think they have a kit for installing the vents in a non A/C dash