Fox Adding heater back in my car.

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys,

I bought my 90 coupe a couple years ago. It's a southern car. Previous owner said the heater core leaked so it was removed.

I live in Minnesota and the fall weather can get pretty chilly, but it's the best time to cruise in my opinion.

They also removed the heater tube that's connected to the lower intake.

So, do I just need a heater core, hoses, and the heater tube?

Also there appears to be one tube sticking out of the firewall with a cap on it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-161303.png
    Screenshot_20210411-161303.png
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like you still have A/C, so the under dash unit is still intact and functioning? If so, the job would be add the coolant tube you showed and the hoses on both ends (plus the heater core of course).

Otherwise it should be all good. I am assuming the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is threaded into the port the coolant tube goes in.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you take detailed pictures and write up a complete tutorial on the process as this is on my to do list.

Looks like you still have A/C, so the under dash unit is still intact and functioning? If so, the job would be add the coolant tube you showed and the hoses on both ends (plus the heater core of course).

Otherwise it should be all good. I am assuming the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is threaded into the port the coolant tube goes in.
Yeah I have ac and it works. You are correct, the engine coolant temperature sensor is threaded into lower intake.

I thought they said that they removed the heater core. But if that is it coming through the firewall then I guess not.

Quite a job to remove your dash to get at the heater core.. I would suggest you watch some of the videos of people who have done it...

Looks like you have half the heater core?? There should be 2 tubes coming out.

The LMR coolant tubes are a VERY close match for OEM. Getting that installed is a lot of work in itself. You have to pull the intake, get fuel rail off etc. You also need a large crows foot (1 1/8" if I recall, they mention it in the LMR install video). They have 2 versions, with and with out a port that runs to the EGR.

Getting to the heater core is NOT easy. As suggested, watch some videos. The cars I did had AC and I was able to get it done with out discharging the AC.

Lastly see if you can find an OEM, core. The ONLY thing that you can buy new are aluminum ones. One of the ones I did, I used one. I did not like it. For the second, I had an OEM recored. Paid many more times what an aluminum one costs, but I now have a proper brass one.

The LMR coolant tubes are a VERY close match for OEM. Getting that installed is a lot of work in itself. You have to pull the intake, get fuel rail off etc. You also need a large crows foot (1 1/8" if I recall, they mention it in the LMR install video). They have 2 versions, with and with out a port that runs to the EGR.

The OEM Heater tube is still available, for $40.

I wouldn't run one of those Aluminum junk cores they sell now. The older brass cores were the way to go. Short of that, i would take your current core and take it to a radiator repair shop and have them solder in a new core, as well as add solder to the two inlet tubes. I'd do that vs grabbing one of the new aluminum cores

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The OEM Heater tube is still available, for $40.

I wouldn't run one of those Aluminum junk cores they sell now. The older brass cores were the way to go. Short of that, i would take your current core and take it to a radiator repair shop and have them solder in a new core, as well as add solder to the two inlet tubes. I'd do that vs grabbing one of the new aluminum cores

I needed the tubes with out the EGR port, those are not easy to find.

I agree on the brass core. I actually have had 2 more done to have on the "shelf" for when another goes.