Adding switches into center console?

Tomtom9401

Oct 24, 2008
Hey guys so i have a new radio coming in for christmas and would really like to integrate atleast 2 switches some where into my car, so far i have figured that the center console would be the easiest (wiring/installing) wise. My first question is, has anyone done this and have a few pics they could toss my way? I noticed this piece in my interior

1994-04 Mustang Center Console Coin Holder by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I assume this will be an ideal location as it will require minimal cutting, and i can put that hole to use! My next question is, i am probably going to be wiring a switch into the power wire of my double DIN Pioneer DvD headunit as it doesnt have an ideal on/off switch, incase i get pulled over or distracted. Will i need any type of special resistors or wire when doing this? Im not sure how much power actually goes through this. Ill probably be going with a black rocker switch with a small green LED integrated inside, to keep a fairly stock look with a green glow to match the gauges and AC controls. Has anyone noticed a type of panel possibly with 3 or more switches integrated into it that is small and looks good? Thanks for the help guys. Pictures always welcome and appreciated! :)

Edit: I forgot to ask another major question haha, how do you guys recommend running this power wire ? The main power wire goes into a harness, should i cut the wire from the harness and run a wire straight to the switch followed by the wire going into the headunit harness? What do you guys recommend, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

That coin holder just pops out... no cutting required. There is a main power line under there for a convertible top switch that would be in that location if you had a convertible. Even if you don't have a convertible, I'm pretty sure the line for it is there. If not, run a dedicated line to your engine bay fuse box and fuse it there.

Just remember that cutting can't be undone and those panels are very expensive to replace.

If your doing a power on/off switch look into a steeda nitrous switch. It fills that hole and looks good as well. You might get some crazy looks as to why you don't have nitrous but it sure beats the look of a plain toggle switch and you won't have to make any surrounding pieces either.

Im looking for 2 switches, i need one for the main power cutoff and i need one for the DvD player brake bypass, although i could just use a relay for the brake bypass, the single steed switch is 30 bucks, which is about 10 times expensive as the rocker switches hah, I guess i may have to acutally buy the switches to see how much cutting i would need to do. Was just curious if there was any other place people would suggest putting the switches where they are easily accesible and not hard to get wiring to.

Welcome to post up picutures of your setup but i have found my solution! :) hehe, i bought two rocker switches that require a 5/16 hole i believe and both of them fit almost perfectly flush into the slot of the old coin holder, i will have to do a little trimming on the upper portion of the hole but i will still be able to switch back to the stock coin holder if i decide to pull out my system or sell the car woot hah. Very little if any of the hole exposed when the switches are installed, ill try and post up pictures tomorrow when i have time to grind the little notch to fit both perfectly. Hope the wiring isnt to difficult :) hehe