adjustable clutch cable or stock????

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
I got a UPR adjustable clutch quadrant kit, with the new triple hook quadrant, adjustable cable and firewall adjuster. the adjustable cable is longer than the stock one. no matter how i adjust this damned thing the firewall adjuster keeps slowly backing out, and eventually it's a pita to shift. so i was thinking of putting the stock cable back in. it's shorter and should work fine with the billet aluminum quadrant. has anyone done this?

• Sponsors (?)

I used the same stuff as RR above and it worked. One caveat - you will still need the FWA and that's what's causing an issue for you right now. You are using the jamb nut, right?

I bought the Steeda adjustable 3-piece kit and the cable lasted less than 15,000 miles. I just put a stock cable in but kept the firewall adjuster and quadrant. It made a HUGE difference and the car shifts better than when I bought the whole kit and initially installed it.

just an update

I removed the new clutch cable that came with the kit and put the stock one back in. It works %1000 better now, and it was a good thing I decided to change them out when I did. The adjustable cable comes with a locking nut at the end where it seats on the clutch fork. Well the locking nut was NOT locking. It was slowly backing off the threaded end of the cable. That is why I had to keep readjusting with the firewall adjuster. It was down to the last one or two threads when I found it, meaning just a few more presses of the clutch and the nut would have slipped off and I would be sitting by the roadside broken down. So... if you have an adjustable clutch cable and you experience hard shifting - I would check it out. It's a minor miracle I found it when I did.

90lxfoxbody said:
I removed the new clutch cable that came with the kit and put the stock one back in. It works %1000 better now, and it was a good thing I decided to change them out when I did. The adjustable cable comes with a locking nut at the end where it seats on the clutch fork. Well the locking nut was NOT locking. It was slowly backing off the threaded end of the cable. That is why I had to keep readjusting with the firewall adjuster. It was down to the last one or two threads when I found it, meaning just a few more presses of the clutch and the nut would have slipped off and I would be sitting by the roadside broken down. So... if you have an adjustable clutch cable and you experience hard shifting - I would check it out. It's a minor miracle I found it when I did.

It's good that you found it! I actually had that same problem except that we had double-nutted the threaded part of the cable. During one of my adjustments, I noticed that one of the nuts was missing. I then removed the other nut and replaced it with a stainless steel nut that has a nylon plastic piece on the end of it's threads. I haven't had a problem since and it's been 2+ years.

i just picked up the ford racing single hook quadrant from summit for like 40 bucks. it came with an adjustable cable but im just gonna reuse the stock cable thats on there now. my question is, do i need to buy a firewall adjuster? :shrug:

they had just wheeled out a new rack of parts for the clearance rack when i got there and i spotted this and figured it was a good buy? it retails for 89 or so the only thing i dont know is whether or not i NEED a firewall adjuster if im using my old stock cable??

You would probably need a FWA, unless you just get lucky. It will just depend upon the throw of the quadrant and how stretched your old cable is.

FWIW, the Ford adjustable cable is a pretty nice piece IMHO (I ran one before going with an OEM cable). The OEM one is a little beefier, but I had no complaints about the adjustable version.

Good luck.

fyi, I can't STAND that damn upr triple hook quadrant. Positioning of the hooks is all fubar'd. Causes the clutch to grab MUCH too high no matter how you adjust it, and a big mushy pedal up top. It works, it just sucks.

You "may" not have luck with that ford quadrant, an oem cable, and a firewall adjuster. That quadrant, while very nice, is a very old design, and specifically designed "before" the days of firewall adjusters. It was meant to only work with an adjustable cable.

See my picture below, the blue quadrant is the one you just bought. pay no attn to the color, they came in different colors. you can see how much longer it is over the competitors. This extra length becomes a big problem when using the shorter oem cable in conjuction with a firewall adjuster. I had luck running a ford racing quadrant with an early steeda fwa, however, that was on an oem cable with 150k on it, and likely stretched out. You may damn well find that with a fwa, the oem cable won't work.

In that case, a longer oem sn95 cable may just be your answer, but that's untested on my behalf.

q1.jpg