adjusting stud mount rockers

sheff2720

Nov 30, 2003
Horsham, PA
my procedure for doing them is to crank the motor over by hand and do each cylinder individually.. i crank the motor until the intake valve goes all the way down and then comes back up.. then i crank until the exhaust valve on that same cylinder just starts to drop.. when i see the exhaust valve more i back it off a bit so that both valves are completely closed.. i then tighten the bolts with my fingers until i cant move the pushrods up and down anymore.. from there i go 1/2 turn more on the bolt and lock those bolts down.. then move onto the next cylinder

this obviously didn't work to well.. i thought it was the right procedure for stud mount rockers but i guess not.. whats the best way to adjust the rockers properly?

• Sponsors (?)

The easiest way I know is to find TDC and loosen up both rockers on #1, bring them to 0 lash, and then give them another 1/2 to 3/4's of a turn. Then, carefully crank the motor over to the next cylinder and repeat. You can follow the rotor on the distributor. At TDC you will notice that the rotor is pointed directly to where the #1 wire goes. If you slowly crank the motor by hand the next one should be the next cylinder in the fireing order. I know my explanation is poor. Sorry. Hopefully you get what I mean.

It is my understanding that the way you do it is the right way but I have never had any luck doing it like that. I guess I don't have an eye for that kind of stuff.