Adjustment/noise making question about rear drums

Could someone please explain the correct way to adjust my rear drums. I know the whole, tighten it until there is some drag, but how do you know when the other side is adjusted then? If you have drag on one side, you will still feel the drag on the other right?? Would I have to adjust one side, take the drum off, and adjust the other side? I also know you can do the self adjustment by going in reverse and braking, but it does not seem effective for me

Next, I have been having a noise coming from the brakes occcasionally. It happens when I have applied the brakes and am letting off. It is a clunk sound, and is definitely related to the brakes, since it only happens when I am letting off. I assumed it to be that they were not adjusted properly, and that was causing it due to it not contacting properly. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Mavrick said:
You should be able to hear the drum dragging on the pad as you adjust each one...

Right. You just need to hear the drum dragging. Not really feel resistance.

Snug a 2 lug nuts to the drum while doing the adjusting (if the rims are off). This will keep the drum in line with the axle and not give you a false reading.

Is the clunk deep in tone, or do you hear things springing back in place with the brakes? I feel a slight thud when I relase the brakes on my 250. My opinion on my noise is that it everything is going from braking to a coast or power.

Old cars make clunking noises sometimes. New cars do it too sometimes. You will know if you rear brakes are tight enough when you have a high brake pedal and the rear tires lock first when you stab the brakes. When you test drive the car, let go of the wheel and apply the brakes firmly. If it pulls to the left or right, the other side is a bit too loose. I did a rear brake job recently and didnt like the feel or the height of the pedal at all. On the test drive, it was locking the front tires only. I tightened the rear brakes up some more and its good now. Invest in a high quality brake spoon if you dont have one. I got mine from Napa for $12 or so, make adjustment so easy. And make sure you have all the springs in the right spot, if one is binding somewhere in there, that will cause a clunk that is not normal.

Thanks for the replies guys. So it is just until there is a slight contact huh? Well I will have to check into that then. I just wasn't sure, because I figured if you adjust one side, then when you adjust the other side, you would feel the resistance of the first side, giving you a false reading. If that made any sense at all.......haha. I am going to have to try the hands off the wheel braking to see if it pulls to one side or another.

I never really took notice as to whether the clunk was deep in tone or not, I just remember hearing it sometimes. I will have to check that and get back to you. What would some causes be for this noise, that I could check out? I am almost positive that the springs are in the correct way, but I could be wrong. I never bought new springs when I changed the brakes, I just reused the old ones.

If you guys could give me some things to check that would be great, I want to give the whole car a run down this weekend probably to make sure everything is up to par.

Thanks again for the replies.

Chris

Remove the wheel and have someone press the brakes and let it go repeatedly. Dont let the drum come off, you know not to push the pedal with the drum off, right? Thats bad. Listen to make sure the sound is coming from inside the brake drum, you cant really tell in the car. Then go from there. Look for places inside the drum where something is rubbing. You are looking for a shiny spot. If you find one or suspect a spot, put a small dab of grease there and throw the drum on and test again. You are trying to make the noise change or go away, then you have found it. Does that help?