Advanced timing issues?

Hey I was wandering if anybody that has installed a timing advance kit has any problems with check engine lights or misfires. I am dealing with a 01 gt with your usual bolt ons and a timing adjuster kit that I believe is steedas. Its my buddys car and about 2 weeks ago we were going to take it to the track so we took it up to 16* and added a bottle of octance booster with 93 octane. never did get to run the car but on our way home he said his check engine light came on. I wasnt able to get it into work until today to get it on the scanner but what I found was a cyl 3 and cyl 5 misfire. he said he never felt a misfire that he can remember. I was wandering if maybe with the timing that advaced if weak coils or plugs may be the issue. Oh and the freeze frame data showed it set at 80 mph under 40% load so it was at a interstate cruise. no light since we put the timing back down and ran out that tank of gas. Any input. First time messing with timing that high for me.

• Sponsors (?)

You might be able to get away with base timing of 16* on 96-98 GTs, but I haven't seen any 99+ with that much. Yes, I would say to back it down to where it was and it probably was the cause of the light.

Yeah we have been normally running 14 for normal driving and had no problems. The 16 was just kind of to see if it would do any thing. I installed the pulleys and the crank was torqued to spec. Kind of off topic but what was really wierd was once we got back and he refilled with gas and checked his gas milage and he said he got 30 mpg! Either he cant do math or there was something wierd going on.

I did a timing adj on my '02 before I went to a predator tune and I got a LOW RPM misfire code. It was because the timing adj was not seated in fully and threw the crank out of balance enough to throw the code. I pulled off the timing adj, cleaned off all the sealer and dirt (to the point you could eat off of it) put the timing adj back on and carefully torqued it to spec.... The other piece that happenned later was when you tighten down the 3 allen bolts (when you set the timing), you have to torque them even also. It's like the slightest pulling threw a code. Unhook your battery to clear your codes and start her back up. I drove after that for 3-4 months (until I sold the Adjuster) without any problems (but I only went up to 14) anything above that made the car buck like a mule