advanced timing??

• Sponsors (?)

should gain some, but you might have to run higher octane gas. Get a timing light, loosen the distributer (sp) and turn it up. I wouldn't go higher than 14, 10 is stock. First make sure you take out the little spout by the maf.

somebody else could probably explain it better than me.

You can gain some hp by advancing the timing. What you run the risk of is detonation. In order to do this correctly I would begin by making sure your tank is filled with the highest available octane fuel for your area. Next check your baseline timing. In order to do so you will remove the spout in the passenger side fender. Your stock timing should read 10*. After this you should then turn the car off, loosen the distributor, restart the car and turn the timing to 12*. After doing so turn the car off and tighten the distributor. Then turn it back on and make sure while tightening you did not move the distributor. Put the spout back in and take the car for a spin. If you notice any detonation reduce the timing 1* at a time until it goes away. If you don't notice detonation I would continue advancing by 1* until you experience detonation and then back it off that last degree added. That's how I do it. Some others may do it in different ways.

every car is different..some cars like more timing than others...my car was able to take 18* degrees of timing with california 91 gas and it ran strong..no pinging whatsover... but i lowered it to 15 since our cars make the most power at 14 or 15 degrees timing

96darkhorse said:
every car is different..some cars like more timing than others...my car was able to take 18* degrees of timing with california 91 gas and it ran strong..no pinging whatsover

There is no doubt about this since my car cannot go past 10* before it starts pinging. There are two different versions of calibrations for our computers and this as well, will be a factor in your cars tendancy towards pinging.