ADVICE NEEDED: Need to put in new engine

theosan

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2000
So. Cal.
Gentlemen,
I need to install a new engine in my 97 GT 5-speed. I don't want to chage any electronics or transmission. Also, needs to remain street legal

1. What are my options for a complete drop in engine?
2. Can you recommend places to buy a complete engine
3. What would you do if you need a new engine?
4. Thanks in advance for your help :hail2:

:(

• Sponsors (?)

theosan said:
Will a 98 engine work wthout replacing other parts?

What about a 99 and above engine without replacing other parts?

Thanks.
Do a little searching, you should be able to find a lot of helpful info on it. There are several people around this site that have done 99+ motor swaps into their 96-98's. If your looking for power, you may want to consider forged internals while your doing the swap seeing as it will save alot of time down the road sicne its goin in now anyways.

I tried to do the head swap but afterwards the engine wouldn't turn over. I thought that it was the starter so I had it flat bedded to a shop and the mechanic told me that my engine has locked up or seized (I don't really know what that means) especially since I can turn the crank by hand. Anyways he told me that I need a new engine and that's where I am now :(

I felt so bad that I bought this to cheer me up while I fix the stang.
qlrear.jpg

What are your goals for the car? Are you just looking at getting it running? N/A or F/I? What do you want to spend? If I were to stay n/a I would look at a swap to an 01 Cobra 4v crate engine from FRPP. About $6000 you get eng,trans, elec. everything you need. I know you said motor only but I just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.EDIT not sure what elec. are included