Advice on 275's up front?

GTFTW

Jun 9, 2010
I currently have 275's out back and stock 245's up front. I need more traction and want to get som DR's for the rear. However, the 275's ive got back there now are relatively new so i dont want to get rid of them. Would moving them up front be a good idea? How would the car handle/behave with 275's up front?

• Sponsors (?)

The car will behave worse with 275's up front on the street. If you are on a road course, or auto x, then I would go with them. I ran them on 2 SN95 GTs for a lot of miles, and hated them. Each time, I quickly switched back to a 255 up front. More weight, more resistance with the weight, etc. They do look good though. Some people like them, but I am very keen on how the car responds with different wheels/tires, and I just don't like the weight up front.

With the 275 up front, your car will track more. It will pull harder to each uneven surface in the road, or pothole. I never liked it in a mustang. I still run a 265 in the front, even with 775hp in my car now. I won't go bigger in the front unless I get in to road racing. I would like to go to a 255 on the street in the future.

I have had 245, 265 and now 275 up front. The 275s rub the wheel well at full lock. They are slightly taller than the 265 which gave me a tiny bit more clearance. The 265s are perfect in my opinion.

If you have 18x9 and 18x10 rims then 265s up front and 295s out back are perfect.:nice:

Everyone has different opinions on 275's in the front because how they perform depends on the roads in their area, how much their stang is dropped, and what they use their stang for.

I will be the opposite of the two above me. I like my 275's up front. I have no wheel rub w/ ford racing c-springs. Sure, they track more on uneven surface or potholes etc. but it doesn't bother me much because 99% of the time I drive on decent roads.

If your car is not dropped too much it totally makes sense to move those 275s up front. If you have some time temporarily swap them to the front with what you have now. You will be able to see at least if you have any wheel rub and maybe you could take a quick drive to see how the fronts work for you (understanding that the rear won't be exactly right) :nice:

i have 275's with 18x9's on my mustang and it is lowered with coil overs and i dont rub at all. car drives fine and i think the 275's up front give it a better look. I also live in michigan where the roads are realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly shi**y. No problems at all and they look damn good

I've got 275's up front and 315's for the rear. 17x9/17x10.5 rim size. Lowered 1.5" on Eibach Pro Kit. Like the look, like the way it rides. No issues with tire/wheel rub. On the highway most of the time and the roads are pretty good here in central NC. Have about 5 miles on back country roads on my daily commute and it's not to bad either.

IMO, it would depend on what rim size you have and if you are already going to be running a staggered setup.

I'm assuming you'd have a 9 inch wheel, which would limit you to 255 to 285 widths. The wider the tire, the more it will track. If you are already running a staggered setup (or are going to), then I'd go with the smallest size possible because you are not going to rotate them anyway. But if you are poor like me and have to rotate the tires and want the same size on all 4 corners, a 275 is the perfect width for all around performance. I'm getting ready to buy new tires to go on my 17x9 wheels, and I'm going with 275/40-17s all the way around.

And if I remember correctly, the 03-04 Cobras came with 275s all around from the factory. So if it's good enough for OEM Ford, then it will probably be fine for us.

I've got 275's up front and 315's for the rear. 17x9/17x10.5 rim size. Lowered 1.5" on Eibach Pro Kit. Like the look, like the way it rides. No issues with tire/wheel rub. On the highway most of the time and the roads are pretty good here in central NC. Have about 5 miles on back country roads on my daily commute and it's not to bad either.

I like that answer... :nice:

I have 275/40/17 all around. The same tire on every corner. Makes it very easy to rotate tires. My car is lowered on C springs, and I have no issues with tracking in the front. It does add weight to the front end, but the handling improvement far out weighs all cons.

With all that being said, the most surprising thing for me was the lack of hydroplaning. I've been on the highway before, going through ponds of water, and not once have my tires let me down.

I have the stock GT wheels (not sure on the width). Ive got 275's out back and 245's up front. i order some nitto 275's extreme dr's for the rear since i need more traction (didnt want to go wider than 275 on the stock rims). The 275's i have no are still in good condition so i didnt want to just toss em. Ive also got eibach sportline springs.

im going to move them up front and see how it behaves. if i dont like it then ill just get some cheapy front tires.

I have 295/18's out back and 245/18's out front. I had 255's but they would track so bad it was crazy. The 245's have almost non-existant tracking and I can feel my 295's do it on occasion. Almost feels like a slight shudder. I also like the 245's responsiveness compared to the 255's. Sometimes you can tend to oversteer the smaller diameter tires though. I could only imagine what 275's would do. I'd just wait until the 275's wear out.

The car will behave worse with 275's up front on the street. If you are on a road course, or auto x, then I would go with them. I ran them on 2 SN95 GTs for a lot of miles, and hated them. Each time, I quickly switched back to a 255 up front. More weight, more resistance with the weight, etc. They do look good though. Some people like them, but I am very keen on how the car responds with different wheels/tires, and I just don't like the weight up front.

With the 275 up front, your car will track more. It will pull harder to each uneven surface in the road, or pothole. I never liked it in a mustang. I still run a 265 in the front, even with 775hp in my car now. I won't go bigger in the front unless I get in to road racing. I would like to go to a 255 on the street in the future.

Damn! When did you get 775hp????

I have 275's and like them fine but then again im not as keen to subtle handling differences when it comes to things like tire width.

Good to see you back around! :nice:

Yea im around i just don't post too often anymore, ive gotten about as far as i'll ever get with my mustang shy of a new motor and got tired of dumping money into it. It's as fast as I want it to be and handles as well as I want it too so I guess i got to that point where I feel like im a little burnt out...

I have 275/40/r17's all around on factory 03/04 cobra wheel. They work fine for me and mine is dropped a good bit on MM coilovers. I have roughly 1/2 an inch or so of clearance with them as well.