Fox Advice On Engine Combo Needed, Have Tfs Heads & Cam

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I have a set of TFS 170 heads 58cc and stage 1 TFS cam, 24lb injectors and matching MAF, and an intake from an Explorer........I am going to replace the shortblock because I am losing oil pressure after it warms up now and I am not sure if I should stick with a 302 or go up to a 331 or 347. I will NOT be racing the car, it's a 1 owner 90 GT and I want it more as a car I can get in and drive anywhere than to beat someone for 1/4 mile. Summit has a short block 331 or 347 by ATK for about $2400, does anyone know if they are any good? The heads and cam are about a year old, I put them on the 5.0 Explorer block after breaking the crank in the original 5.0 and needed an engine for it quickly, now I want to get the parts matched up right and have it as a nice street car with more power than stock, any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

Atk had a bad reputation awhile back. Haven’t looked at their product quality in a few years.

If you just want to rebuild as cheaply as possible why not just overhaul the present motor? Where you having an oil consumption issue? Or just some oil pressure loss? If it is just a loss of pressure it could be as simple as an oil pump etc. Even if it is bearings you could potentially save money on just turning the crank,new bearings,etc etc.

I personally would find a good stroker kit/machine shop/engine builder and go that way. You’ll like the extra stroke for making more low end torque over the 302.

Atk had a bad reputation awhile back. Haven’t looked at their product quality in a few years.

If you just want to rebuild as cheaply as possible why not just overhaul the present motor? Where you having an oil consumption issue? Or just some oil pressure loss? If it is just a loss of pressure it could be as simple as an oil pump etc. Even if it is bearings you could potentially save money on just turning the crank,new bearings,etc etc.

I personally would find a good stroker kit/machine shop/engine builder and go that way. You’ll like the extra stroke for making more low end torque over the 302.
I had the crank polished when this engine was put together and put a new oil pump in then also, but didn't replace the cam bearings, so I'm not sure if a bearing has spun on the crank or if one of the cam bearings is bad, and this was the Explorer block and internals, so not forged pistons. I want to be able to move the car in and out of the garage until I have another engine ready to drop in. ATK has quit using the made in china parts and now use name brand parts, so I was hoping maybe someone had used one of their engines recently.