Advice On My First Mustang Purchase, 2010/2011?

Mycelus

Nov 20, 2016
Hey guys. I'm saving up to buy a Mustang (coupe) sometime next year. I'm looking at the 2010 to 2011 models specifically.

Now I do know that the 2010 comes with 210/315 and the 2011 is 305/412 in terms of HP for the base/GT models respectively.

Ideally, I'd like to get the fastest car possible for my price range. I PLAN on saving up $8,000, but if I can stomach it, I might be able to save up more and spend the extra needed to get a better car if it's not too much more. I have seen some base model 2010 V6's for $7-8K on Craigslist, and the auction (Manheim/Adesa).

I have a few requirements:

must be Grabber Blue
must be coupe (no convertible)
must have decent mileage (nothing higher than 150K)

as well, preferably (but not required):
premium model
manual

So my questions are as follows:

1) What kind of prices am I looking at for 2010-2011 base/GT for 80-150K miles? I'd LOVE to get the 5.0 Coyote, but I'm not sure how much I should expect to pay for one of those. Note that I plan on buying the car from an auction.

2) What exactly does the premium package add? Is it worth it?

3) I plan on doing some mods (intake, exhaust, tune, cosmetic etc.). Is the 2010 V6 model a joke? What about the 2011 V6? I'd like to add a Flowmaster or Borla axle-back for the sound as well.

4) How much better is the 2011 V6 compared to the 2010 V6? I know there's extra power, but what else? Should I even consider a 2010?

5) Is insurance affected by base/GT or year model? What should I be expecting? (22M)

6) What are some other things I should be looking out for?

Thank you in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Do whatever you have to, to get into a 2011 version of each model, over the 2010. The slight difference in price more is more than justified with the powertrain upgrade. The 4.0L V6 is a truck engine and should have never been put into a Mustang. The 3.7L that replaced it is light years better. Same goes for the 4.6L 3V. Decent engine, but not even in the same league as the Coyote in regards to power and technological advancements.

Also, if you've got performance in mind, then get the V8. The 3.7L is "peppy", but if going fast is what you're after, you're always going to kick yourself for not getting the 5.0L.

The premium package offers a few niceties. Leather seats, some electronic gizmos, lighting, etc.....most certainly worth it.

Your other questions are really going to be dependent on where you live. My advice would be to hit the classifieds for the difference in price and call your insurance company.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd get the 2011 due to the hp/torque increase. The newer 3.7L of that year is a lot speedier. However there are a lot of youtube videos where the limiter was taken off on these and the driveshaft ended up failing around 130mph. I have a 2014 and still haven't gone to 130 just in case mine has that issue. I have the same engine setup. If you get the 2011 and an electronic tuner then you'd really have some speed! I have an SCT. Tuners are around $400 new. It's definitely one of the best investments I've made for my car. Good luck! B)