Advice with modifications 89' GT

Lamriokart

Jun 2, 2019
SOCAL
Hey I've recently started modding my 89' GT and it's the first car I've began modding so forgive any mistakes. So far these are my mods to engine/exhaust, a bit done by the previous owner a good portion done by myself.

93 Cobra upper and lower intake
BBK 65mm throttle body
BBK Cold Air Intake
BBK Unequal Length Headers
High Flow H pipe with High Flow Flowmasters mini Cats
Maganflow Catback (do want flowmasters however)

In terms of the suspension and transmission the previous owner has done a good portion and I have a good idea of what I want to do there. I believe I just need advice on the fuel system or the engine work in general, not look for anything crazy as this is my first build but just something that beats out stock and compliments the other mods well, any advice is appreciated thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A nice set of aluminum heads will meet your goals. I'd recommend AFR165s, TFS fast-as-cast 170s, or any TFS 11R heads. While you're in there, do a custom cam from Ed Curtis.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
With those mods/power goals you really don't need to do anything to the fuel system if it's in good running order, although I
would probably replace the fuel pump anyways, 190lph would be fine for you.
If your planning future upgrades you may want to go with 24lb injectors / maf .

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with FastDriver. Heads are going to be your best bet. I don't remember where I read it, but I heard that the AFR 165cc heads will bolt on 90 horsepower. I have no proof to back up my info of course, but putting some cash into a set of good aluminum heads is a good idea. If those heads aren't within your budget (they weren't in mine, for now) pick up a set of used GT40P heads, and watch videos on hand porting them. I got mine (with upgraded valve springs installed) for $200. Nice power jump for sure.

Reactions: 1 user