Advise on transmission oil (Syncromesh)

Rawnnie

Apr 12, 2019
Arizona
I have an 03 GT and 04 V6 both manual. I have done a little bit of research on the Tr-3650 and T-5 transmissions using Syncromesh oil and having positive effects but have never came across if it's actually safe being used in these transmissions. A few months ago I bought some Valvoline Syncromesh MTF (same part numbers as Penzoil Syncromesh and GM Syncromesh) and put in my 03 GT and as it seems to be liking it, I am still skeptical if it is actually safe to use without damaging the transmission in the long run. Some people have said it can damage carbon syncros over time. Any advise is appreciated.

Attachments

• valvoline2.jpg
    valvoline2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Sponsors (?)

These transmissions will never shift Honda smooth no matter what fluid you use. Why not just use what the factory calls for? I put Mercon V in mine and it shifts just fine.

That stuff is fine. The older fox mustangs called for atf. Heres a list of acceptable oil for syncrinized trans. Penzoil syncronesh. Gm syncronesh. Valvoline syncromesh. Royal purple syncromesh. Redline d4atv. Etc.

That stuff is fine. The older fox mustangs called for atf. Heres a list of acceptable oil for syncrinized trans. Penzoil syncronesh. Gm syncronesh. Valvoline syncromesh. Royal purple syncromesh. Redline d4atv. Etc.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I forgot about my post on this forum and just came back to it, I know it has been a while...Since you know a little but about syncromesh, do you know how similar it may be to the GM Syncromesh that alot of people recommend in their tr-3650? Is one better than the other?