AFR 185 Heads Noisy

#16Stang

15 Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Heard a lot of noise (rattling/clacking) coming from my drivers side head. Pulled my valve covers and noticed that basically all my 1.7 Roller Rockers were wiggle loose and not aligned with each other.

So, should I loosen each one, verify lash, set lash, tighten half turn, lock it down, then another quarter turn?

I have never did this before, any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Heard a lot of noise (rattling/clacking) coming from my drivers side head. Pulled my valve covers and noticed that basically all my 1.7 Roller Rockers were wiggle loose and not aligned with each other.

So, should I loosen each one, verify lash, set lash, tighten half turn, lock it down, then another quarter turn?

I have never did this before, any help is appreciated.
**** Edit **** Correction: I was able to pretty much align all of them by hand.

If you have the adjustable type
Do the adjustment individually with the engine running and squirting oil all over
Use some method to prevent the big mess Modified (top cut out) valve covers are best
Loosen each one until it starts to clack like hell
Then tighten it back up till the clacking stops
That will be zero lash
Then do your additional 1/4 or 3/4 turn additional to center the plunger in the lifter bore
The 3/4 vs 1/2 vs 1/4 is an old racing trick

Reactions: 1 user
Usually grab the pushrod and spin it while adjusting them
When you can no longer spin the pushrod with your fingers you have reached zero lash
Engine running squirting oil all over fck
Mine has solids and sounds like a sewing machine that needs oil

Did you check push rod length?
There is more to it than bolting them on.
Here are instructions on installing them:

#165tang, How long have you run the motor with the new heads on it?
Days months weeks?
The other side had no trouble?
Photos would be nice
They've been on the car just a little over 13 months.
The noise was coming from the drivers side. So I pulled the other side to check and both sides are loose.

image0 (3).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg

I agree on adjusting the guide plates or do your pushrods not fit the guide plates correctly?
It is normal for the rockers to flop around some on the style without the pedestal
I have boss 351 heads on my 302 and the rockers do not have the slot and the heads do not have the pedestal with the groove either
That makes them move around a ton
As long as the clearance is correct you should be good to go
I would suggest you add lash caps in case of any valve tip wear would be on the lash cap and not the valve

I agree on adjusting the guide plates or do your pushrods not fit the guide plates correctly?
It is normal for the rockers to flop around some on the style without the pedestal
I have boss 351 heads on my 302 and the rockers do not have the slot and the heads do not have the pedestal with the groove either
That makes them move around a ton
As long as the clearance is correct you should be good to go
I would suggest you add lash caps in case of any valve tip wear would be on the lash cap and not the valve
When retightening, is it mandatory to follow the firing order?

Ive got those heads with scorpion 1.6 rockers. ive got 1 noisy one on the pass side. ive tried readjusting them but im just thinking its the lifter. they deff are not quiet like stock.