AFR's 165's on a 331??? Good idea or Not so good idea???

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
So...I know that usually on a 331 or a 347 you want to go with AFR's 185's...however, would the 165's still work? I have a feeling the engine would be a torque monster but when would it run out of breath? At what RPM's? How does this sound:

331 stroker
AFR's 165's
short runner intake (e.g. Trickflow, Performer, Performer 2, Systemax)
custom cam
70-75mm TB
80-85mm MAF
LT headers 1 3/4

I guess the point to this thread is...would a small head work well with a rather big set up...I would like to see if the torque can be reached at lower RPM's and be consistent through out the powerband...Has anyone did this before or would recommend it? I'm just really bored right now and I just read a thread about 331 and AFR 185's so this made me think a bit...but I am done now. :nice: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that somebody on these boards has 165s on his 347. But i think that he already had the heads. He had some very nice numbers if i recall correctly.

But if your buying new heads, id go with the 185s

You mention short runner, but list LONG runner intakes.... (Holley, Performer)
A Victor 5.0, RPM II or TFS R would be a short runner, along with box type uppers.

If you are going short runner then I assume you are looking at reving the motor higher, I'd look into the 185's

Rick 91GT said:
A Victor 5.0, RPM II or TFS R would be a short runner, along with box type uppers.

If you are going short runner then I assume you are looking at reving the motor higher, I'd look into the 185's

Yeah what Rick said. Short for high revs. Long for low revs.
Or........just supercharge it and....forgetaboutit.

Rick 91GT said:

I should have stated this better...Looking for an intake that is more of a higher RPM intake than the traditional GT-40 style (long runner intakes)...Yes, I do realize that 185's would be better but could I get more TQ out of the 165's at lower RPM's...as well as maintain the TQ throughout the RPM band??? is it even possible? With the intakes...and the cam...I wouldn't want to rev the car past 5800RPM tops...maybe like 5600RPM...Does this makes sense or would this totaly not work? Thanks guys.

Highbredcloud said:
I should have stated this better...Looking for an intake that is more of a higher RPM intake than the traditional GT-40 style (long runner intakes)...Yes, I do realize that 185's would be better but could I get more TQ out of the 165's at lower RPM's...as well as maintain the TQ throughout the RPM band??? is it even possible? With the intakes...and the cam...I wouldn't want to rev the car past 5800RPM tops...maybe like 5600RPM...Does this makes sense or would this totaly not work? Thanks guys.

Sounds like you want what I built. I have a 347, but built it for TQ, not big HP or high rev's. I shift mine at 6-6100 tops. I went with the RPM intake lightly ported,I have ported edel heads which flow prob like 165's, 80mm MAF, 75mmTB.

Car makes great TQ. excellent driveabilty. Have Ed C grind you the cam, thats key to get what you want the motor to do. I wish I had the $$ for 185's or 205's also, but these are working out just fine for my driving style.

I would think the 165's would work out fine for you and what your after. mine turned out very nice. Ed did a terrific job on my cam design.
Love the grunt down low & power at 6k. tires hate it though LOL

Hope this helps,
Scott