After a long absence I am back with a running car again

rj95svt

Jan 11, 2007
Hayden, AL
Hello all it's been a long time since I have been on here much but my car has been down for over a year and I haven't had time or money to fix it. It started about a year and a half ago. I had been fighting a long battle with a ticking vibrating engine that just didn't seem right. I won a triple threat nitrous kit from Ny-trex and installed it on my cobra but never put more than a 50 shot (only three times) through it for fears of engine problems because of the ticking and vibrating. It finally let go one day though finally letting me know what was wrong with the engine for so long.
The crank broke into two pieces just behind the first throw. I had put that motor together about two years ago and the crank I used had been sitting in the garage for ten plus years I suspect it got damaged somehow due to the way it broke. I started having problems within weeks of the first start. To top all my great luck off after the engine broke my garage was hit by a tornado on April 27th here in Alabama. I was really lucky my car was not destroyed because my car was pulled halfway into the garage because I had started pulling the engine apart. The roof and the garage door fell onto the front end of my car but really only doing minimum damage to the car and other than some hail damage the car looks fairly good but now instead of having to just repaint the front end I will have to do a complete paint job.
Fast foward to now, work is is cutting costs and they are taking the company trucks away and I had to have transportation to and from work. I rolled new bearings into a low mileage stock 95 GT engine bottom end and put my lightly ported GT40 heads (after a few new valves) and intake on it. I left the stock gt cam in the engine. I had three weeks notice and got it all together and running and am now driving it 143 miles round trip to work and back. It feels nice to have the car back but I hate having to drive it this far daily. It surprisingly is running really good even considering the long time it sat. Sorry for the book there is just allot to the story. I will post some pics soon of the car in it's current shape and after the tornado.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I have had some bad luck with it for awhile now. The car has never been my daily driver up until now nor could it have been. I do have a tick to resolve but I am slowly starting to enjoy the car again. Other than the tick and and slight buck while decelerating the caris really doing well. I got 22mpg last tank of gas too. I am gonna wash and buff the car this weekend and take some pics.

The tick is probably the valvetrain (lifter most likely) or maybe rocker adjustment. The hiccup when releasing the throttle could be a vacuum leak or something as simple as an adjustment (TPS .98v, etc.). As the car is sitting idling spray carb cleaner around vacuum lines, if the idle bobbles there's your problem.

BlackVert, I took the pic in my avatar at the mustang 45th anniversary show @ Barber motorsports park just after the 2010 mustang had been unveiled. This car was in the ford racing booth. Being a enthusiast of mustangs old and new I loved the Grabber blue so I made this my avatar. I have a 1970 mustang sportsroof and have always loved that color. BTW I like the Fairlane I have seen pics in some older threads that you posted. I have never had any FE motors but ford was way ahead of the time with some of the features of those old FE's.

Thanks Kurt, I really like the Nytrex kit that I got mounting all the solenoids on a billet block like they did really does make installation much simpler and cleaner. The only problem I see with it is that it limits where you can install the solenoids because of space.

I found one vacuum leak the other day and it made a noticeable difference in the idle and driveability. I am at work now when I planned on cleaning the car up and taking some pics. Hopefully I can get home early enough to get some work done on it atleast.