After revision - now hanging idle -

darryl paarman

Aug 13, 2013
ft bragg nc
I picked my car up from the tuner shop on a nice warm day , drove good. About 120 miles, all highway to my home. Put it in the garage where it has been sitting until yesterday. About a 6 to 8 second crank time. Then died upon starting unless I physically keep it running with the throttle. Once its warm it idles about 950 rpm smoothly. I found the IAC unplugged. I plugged it in and it immediately idles at 1800 rpm.

• Sponsors (?)

20200322_195440.jpg
20200322_200220.jpg
20200322_200259.jpg

Just a note - the car was already warmed up when i got to the shop to pick it up.
I didn't think anything about it at the time- they said they had just put fuel in it for me.
Here are some screen shots of some things that don't look right to me.

Thank you for the screen shots, but it will be a little easier for us if you could post the Tune (.msq) and also get a datalog (.msl) of the issue as well

Reactions: 1 user
okay. I did calibrate the TPS, the sensors. I reconnected the IAC and did a cold start. the RPMS did not go as high . it still took about a few seconds to start , but seemed much better .
Then I did a 2nd start at 180 degrees.
One thing i notice is that the target idle rpm's are not met. It looks like it should be around 900 rpm's> The idle pretty much stays around 1100 rpm's even at 180 degrees. with the Trick flow stage 1 cam - I would think a idle around 800 should be very doable.

Just a recap - Trick flow top end kit,stage 1 cam, 24lb injectors- pretty much a basic set up.

Attachments

• cold start with iac connected.mlg
    581.1 KB · Views: 64
  • start at 180 degrees 2 nd start.mlg
    114.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I think i have the IAC issue corrected. and my idle is very steady at 910 rpm.
I still have have long crank time issue.
It does start on the 1st try - just 4-6 seconds cranking.
I'm going to try to add crank pulse width in the morning.
I did try to open the throttle a little bit, to give it more air-but it made the crank time longer.

After slowly adding crank pulse width - I've got about a 2 second start even cold.
It's not completely smooth during warm up- but it is at 160 degrees and up.
I'm fortunate to be home for a few weeks- gives me plenty of chances to work on it.
Next is the AFR table. It's currently set to be 14.1 pretty much across the lower section o the table. I'm going to change it to around 14.7 to 15.0 at cruise.

Currently- starts at about 2 seconds cold. Today was 59 degrees .
I started the car- AFR's are about 11.5. idle moves from about 1300 rpm to 900 rpm.
Do I add to the warm up enrichment to stop the idle hunt?
Is the AFR too rich or should I not worry about it?
Once the temp reaches about 140 the idle starts smoothing out and is smooth at 180 degrees.
The AFR at idle at 180 degrees is also about 14.7.

Please datalog with no changes, as it warms up blip the throttle every once in a while so i can see how it returns to idle.

Some major revisions to this, most of the tables altered to reflect a base tune that i would currently provide.

Attachments

• DarrylPaarman.rev.1.0.0.msq
    117.2 KB · Views: 70