Aftermarket computer tuner?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you planning on doing the tuning yourself or having someone do it for you? If you plan to hire a shop or tuner to setup the car for you I suggest that you find one first and then have them help you find the correct system for your application. Not all tuners are familiar with all systems and you want them using something they are familiar with.

I my mind, it depends on the cam, so maybe reaching out to FTI is appropriate.

My 408w ran pretty decent on the factory ecu settings, with a 'calibrated' MAF. But it always had some low speed jerking around 1500-2000 rpm.
That completely went away once the injector timing was dialed in for the cam.

I used a Moates QuarterHorse, but that is a self tuning option, so you will need to learn a lot to get up to speed. Not impossible for most folks, but takes some commitment to invest time to learn it.

So, why do you want to tune it?

Reactions: 1 user
I want to tune it myself, iv always been kind of a computer geek so im not afraid of the learning of it all.

vristang - i want better driveability and i have some of the same as you had with the bucking. If your in the throttle it seems fine
but once your to a slow cruising speed of say...30mph it really dosnt seem to like it. Once its warmed up and you come to a stop
light it will have a surging idle sometimes and act like it wants to die.

I watched this guy:

1581447570614.png

Smooth out a PD blower combo, right here on this forum, of issues that I had always come to know as a part of the territory or the nature of the beast.

Now I'm getting excited about ripping out the EEC and all that other crap and getting something a lot more capable.

The custom solutions of just 10 years ago were either stupid expensive or just plain crap. That gap appears to have closed up quite a bit and hell... Even @a91what can do it! :jester:

Reactions: 1 user
Lolz you guys are too kind, I'm just a guy with a keyboard.... and hundreds of hours of practice. I also read everything I could find.

I can and do tune cars all over the place, all it requires for me to ride along and tune live is an internet hotspot.
Wot and power tuning for the most part is very simple, unless it's an all out power razor edge tune. Driveability/idle is by far the most difficult territory to work in and takes the majority of my time to tune. Sometimes a simple speed density tune works perfect... other times it requires changing the ignition load to run based on throttle position to get a difficult car to respond how you want. Or even a blend of these strategies

a91what - since you have experience with turning, would you recommend the MSPNP2 or the pimpxs? Those are the two iv narrowed it down two.
Feel free to PM me if you would rather.

My set up is in my sig, its a 410W N/A with a FTI cam and a TKO 5 speed.

I had the same question last year and Steve @a91what recommended the pimpxs which is what I went with. Install was extremely easy and although I have barely got my feet wet on this thing the tuning capabilities I see are amazing. I'm sure Steve can give some technical insight into the pro's and con's.

Chris

Lets condince this to one thread so i am not answering the questions twice....

PIMPXS is what you want, with a spartan2 WB.. you can add a gauge to it if you truly must.. or if you want the most out of your experience you can just drop in one of the dashes designed and built by a member on this forum created just for the megasquirt based cars.

with this you can literally design the instrument cluster in anyway you like, it is literally a pc installed in the car full time... meaning you can do all the tuning with this and never once open a laptop.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
a91what - since you have experience with turning, would you recommend the MSPNP2 or the pimpxs? Those are the two iv narrowed it down two.

The ms3x based pimpxs is the way to go. Full sequential is worth the extra expense.

I drove out to Waycross, GA which is about 140 miles from out shop and I averaged 21mpg the whole trip. Not too bad for a 347 which makes what it makes. I’m not sure I could’ve done that in a batch fire setup.

For the love of Webster, there is no freaking “R” in TUNING.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Lets condince this to one thread so i am not answering the questions twice....

PIMPXS is what you want, with a spartan2 WB.. you can add a gauge to it if you truly must.. or if you want the most out of your experience you can just drop in one of the dashes designed and built by a member on this forum created just for the megasquirt based cars.

with this you can literally design the instrument cluster in anyway you like, it is literally a pc installed in the car full time... meaning you can do all the tuning with this and never once open a laptop.

Well crap, i thought i had my dash set up all figured out. I saw you using one of those screens when you were tuning
a car in a youtube video but thought it was a custom set up...its really slick having the 12" screen like that when your doing your TURNING...definitely going to look into the dd-efi screen.

So if i ordered a pimpxs i would just need the spartan2 and controller? Controller would hook to the pimpxs box?

The spartan2 is the controller, it will wire into the pimpxs. you can buy the spartan2 with the pimpxs at the same time from stinger. they have instructions in the startup manual for installing everything. if you decide you want to use one of our dashes we offer a forum discount code or a discount code from my tuning business.

Well using the dd efi dash seems like a no brainer to me. I see it has usb ports on back, would i need to buy a male to female usb
extension cord so i could access a usb port once installed? How do i go about getting a discount code?