Aftermarket Coolant Catch Can

Actually, when your car system is heated up and pressured it will push it out into the overflow up to the HOT line, when it cools off the pressure will reverse and the coolant will sink down to the Cool line. So if you have been driving around a while and pop your hood and your coolant is around your Cool line, that means your low on coolant and you need to add until you reach the Hot line. But if your car is ice cold and your catch can has it filled to the Hot line then you're overfilled and it will come out the open curve tip at the top when it gets hot :nice:

My Black Magic fan came with a support bracket for the stock coolant catch can, I just ordered a new stock one cause the old one was cracked and splitting at the top.

That's what I was getting at. If the fluid level changes throughout the heat cycle, how can it be a good idea to delete the overflow.

I think I'll start with one of the $15 plastic ones from Summit and go from there.

• Sponsors (?)

If you delete the overflow, you essentially make an overflow area in your radiator. If you top off the radiator with no catch can, once it heats up, it will push out the excess fluid onto the ground. When it cools back down, it will suck in air instead of coolant, and you will have a large section of air in your radiator. It still usually works fine.

Kurt

Here is how I mounted that catch can, I was able to keep it in the stock location so I wont have to extend the coolant sensor wires.

6jsy.jpg

I remember why I didnt have a coolant can... The valve cover vent can lived there ( too tall to move the the rear passenger side ) I had the can cut down so now I can mount it in the rear passenger corner of the bay. Few days and 65 bucks later I have this..

View attachment 123227

The shop did pretty nice work, cut out just over 6" and now it should fit just fine. I dont think I want to polish it, maybe scuff it all so it matches?

hid mine in the drivers side fenderwell using the stock horn brackets