Aftermarket head question

• Sponsors (?)

He is very knowledgeable, you would do well to listen to what he has to say. You want information and he gave you his opinion based on the information given. If you do decide to use a budget head like the promaxx you need to have a shop check them over before installing, you will also have to check for PTV clearance if there is an issue the Machinist can flycut the piston if needed.

You have been given the best advice we can so far, now the ball is in your court.

Lol your right that’s what’s wrong with all forums now there always has to be that one person that’s got to be a A SS about everything
I’m not going to be an ass but I’ll just say even though he may be coming off as a smart ass mike is not wrong in anything he’s said . I just didn’t go as in depth as he did in my initial explanation . This is amusing to watch unfold in here though

Lol your right that’s what’s wrong with all forums now there always has to be that one person that’s got to be a A SS about everything
Just a minute,....since I’m wearing my ass hat,.:jester:

I’d bet everybody here has some repetitive behavior peeve that somebody else does, that just drives them batsht. Whether that’s humming, chewing gum loudly, tapping or drumming, moving their lips while reading..whatever it is...

Mine is bad grammar, poor word usage, and despite there being a way to fix a mistake to any of that here, just leaving the whole mess for somebody to try and figure out what the hell it means.

If you want a question answered, at least have the common courtesy to not expect people to have to decipher the non-ending thumb-blather that you leave behind from your I phone posts.
What the hell does this even mean?
No u are wrong Bc this is not my first engine but cam is recommended by lunita Bc what I’m doing and cam Isn’t really that big it’s the stage 2 voodoo I was simply asking Bc I was told 2.02 valve would work then got a email back saying they wouldn’t unless I run a edelbrock head
You got sound advice, although it was a little testy,... But for me, your above post was like a whole set of nails on a chalkboard.

Is this really how you talk?

Reactions: 1 user
No sure isn’t didn’t check that message before posting. And you’re right messages are from iPhone and autocorrect doesn’t like me it was supposed to be first engine build not engine but. Every time I write lunati it always gets changed without me bothering to pay attention

Excellent post. Reading through it all I get a feeling that they may be an individual or two that has installed Edelbrock Performers with 2.02 intake on a 303 block with stock pistons. If this is true, what valve to piston clearance did you have on the Intake and exhaust valve and if it was not with the stock cam what cam was installed when you performed the check? It would be interesting to know because the SVE heads from LRM with 2.02 intakes are supposedly able to work with normal cam rates and lift to around 0.550 inch if I am not mistaken as a general guide but as always you should check if fooling with any grind.

Excellent post. Reading through it all I get a feeling that they may be an individual or two that has installed Edelbrock Performers with 2.02 intake on a 303 block with stock pistons. If this is true, what valve to piston clearance did you have on the Intake and exhaust valve and if it was not with the stock cam what cam was installed when you performed the check? It would be interesting to know because the SVE heads from LRM with 2.02 intakes are supposedly able to work with normal cam rates and lift to around 0.550 inch if I am not mistaken as a general guide but as always you should check if fooling with any grind.
You will be fly cutting with stock pistons , in line cyl head and a valve that large .

No sure isn’t didn’t check that message before posting. And you’re right messages are from iPhone and autocorrect doesn’t like me it was supposed to be first engine build not engine but. Every time I write lunati it always gets changed without me bothering to pay attention
Bro . I do most of my posting from my iPhone with the same autocorrect . Proof read my man . No one is saying you have to be prefect but this is just painful.

End of the day order the heads and see where you’re at . You’re saying you have built engines before but the questions and things you are pointing too are clearly depicting otherwise .

Fly cut those pistons ? If I just bought pistons you bet your ass I’m not fly cutting a god damn thing on them . You shouldn’t be looking to either . FYI DSS is some bottom of the barrel nonsense in my opinion . There’s a reason the engines they build and parts aren’t everywhere .

I’ve worked on some decently fast stuff and built a ok street car . But opinions are like assholes everyone has one.

Bro . I do most of my posting from my iPhone with the same autocorrect . Proof read my man . No one is saying you have to be prefect but this is just painful.

End of the day order the heads and see where you’re at . You’re saying you have built engines before but the questions and things you are pointing too are clearly depicting otherwise .

Fly cut those pistons ? If I just bought pistons you bet your ass I’m not fly cutting a god damn thing on them . You shouldn’t be looking to either . FYI DSS is some bottom of the barrel nonsense in my opinion . There’s a reason the engines they build and parts aren’t everywhere .

I’ve worked on some decently fast stuff and built a ok street car . But opinions are like assholes everyone has one.
That’s why I did this post b4 I ordered the pistons they told me they would clear no problems with promaxx heads. Then I received a email after a week of having them and already sent everything to the machine shop and they said in the emails now that they won’t work on promaxx heads. So there for I was very confused Bc b4 the purchase it was the other way around. I understand valve angles and when they said promaxx will clear no problem with standard 20 degree. the spread center I should of explained more why I was confused Bc website says oem spacing then dss claims spread center, then get told they won’t work but ether way if I have to flycut the pistons I will but damn sure don’t want to.

Last edited:
So with 2.02 intakes, stock block, stock roller cam LMR is feeding everyone a line of bs saying that there 2.02 aluminum heads will work. For about 20 years I have read posts and found no person who actually said I had this head with this cam on this stock block and gasket thickness and here are the valve clearance numbers that I recorded. This is rocket science that must be kept under cover. Everyone wants to give their two cents worth of nonsense it seems. I should call LMR and let them know all about the great knowlege one can obtain reading forums and that they should stop their false advertising claims.

So with 2.02 intakes, stock block, stock roller cam LMR is feeding everyone a line of bs saying that there 2.02 aluminum heads will work. For about 20 years I have read posts and found no person who actually said I had this head with this cam on this stock block and gasket thickness and here are the valve clearance numbers that I recorded. This is rocket science that must be kept under cover. Everyone wants to give their two cents worth of nonsense it seems. I should call LMR and let them know all about the great knowlege one can obtain reading forums and that they should stop their false advertising claims.
If you’re referring to my reply , I said with a standard degree head yes you’d be fly cutting . 170 twisted wedge heads you can get away with it, I have done it as well as 10000 others way before me . LMR is not my end all be all to building engines . Lol

If their China made head is a copy of a twisted wedge head which I believe it is , then yes it would work because of the different valve angle .

You seem perfectly fine to me. Welcome to Stangnet, my man. I hope we don't run you off. Lots of solid guys with solid advice in here, cantankerous or not. It's a pretty tight knit community, and not only is the advice searchable, unlike the bookface, but the vast majority of folks here have been doing it long enough to see just about every combination that's been done. So, you don't get too much off-the-wall garbage guesses that you have to sort through.

We all know what it's like to get bad advice from a mechanic, or shop middle-man at the counter who pretends he knows what he's saying when he's badly parroting a mechanic. That, or something like it, was what it seems you got. So, you come back to us and state it as fact, and of course you're surprised when that supposed expert advice gets shot down. No need to defend yourself, man. Just roll with it. We're all honestly trying to help in the end, and even Grumpy McGrumpster -- just teasin' Mike; don't kill me -- has your best interests at heart in the advice he's giving.

Reactions: 1 users
From LMR's website, here's what they say about one example of a 2.02 inline standard angle head. Skip to the last line:

1556150595236.png

Here's the SVE 170cc 2.02" IV inline standard angle head:

1556150776536.png

Nobody with an aftermarket cam is going sub .500" lift, particularly the OP with his Voodoo cam.

I don't think anyone here said what you think they did, as I don't know when this discussion ever brought up a stock cam.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem perfectly fine to me. Welcome to Stangnet, my man. I hope we don't run you off. Lots of solid guys with solid advice in here, cantankerous or not. It's a pretty tight knit community, and not only is the advice searchable, unlike the bookface, but the vast majority of folks here have been doing it long enough to see just about every combination that's been done. So, you don't get too much off-the-wall garbage guesses that you have to sort through.

We all know what it's like to get bad advice from a mechanic, or shop middle-man at the counter who pretends he knows what he's saying when he's badly parroting a mechanic. That, or something like it, was what it seems you got. So, you come back to us and state it as fact, and of course you're surprised when that supposed expert advice gets shot down. No need to defend yourself, man. Just roll with it. We're all honestly trying to help in the end, and even Grumpy McGrumpster -- just teasin' Mike; don't kill me -- has your best interests at heart in the advice he's giving.
Y’all are good not running me off. My combo in mind is fully balanced 306 with the E series flattops lunati 549/565 lift cam with roller rockers, promaxx 180cc heads eddy rpm2 intake, haven’t decided on tb yet thinking 80mm with 30lb injectors maybe more, full msd set up dizzy,coil,wires and 6al box. long tube headers undecided on brand and size yet arp bolts for everything bbk pulleys and feeding everything with mega squirt just a beat around street car with retain ac ps just doing away with all unnecessary sensors and smog as in North Carolina 95 and below cars are visual inspection only

Might wanna check the inlet port size on the RPM2 intake. I'm a little fuzzy, but it might be a 75mm port. If so, you'd have to port it out to 80mm, or else the 80mm TB will actually disrupt airflow and hinder power. 30 lbs injectors is plenty if you're staying n/a. 1 5/8" LTs is enough n/a. 1 3/4" probably won't gain or hurt anything much either way.

Just got off the phone with dss they say with the camshaft I’m going to use that edelbrock would be only safe bet for 2.02 would have to check good they advise me to back down to a 1.90 or 1.94 intake so guess I got to go that route

This is really what I was interesting in finding out more information on. DSS said Edelbrock would be safe (ok) and I was wondering is that was it, done finished and because of all their experience in the field they did not believe other head manufacturers would fare out well for his installation. YESH?!
+