Aftermarket rotors or all new brake system?

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
Im sick of these cheap a$$ stock rotors warping all the time. Im not hard on the brakes and the lugs are always hand tightened. I dont need brakes yet but if they get any worse I may have to do something about it.

I saw some replacement Brembo rotors for $63 each. If I were to use those with everything else stock would that make any difference in performance or at least not warp as easily? Would they work fine with factory Ford pads? I would put new ones on of course.

The other option of course is the Cobra brake upgrade at $600 which I dont feel like spending right now.

• Sponsors (?)

I get a slight shaking in my steering wheel while driving on the freeway and when they were really bad I would get a serious shaking in my steering wheel while stopping. And either turning them without doing the brakes or turning them when I needed brakes made it go away.

I think when they are warped it produces a sort of out of balance effect and thats why it shakes the steering wheel while driving. At first I thought it was the tires out of balance or an alignment issue but did them both and it didn't solve the problem.

Remember rotors are heat sinks, everytime you remove material they will be more prone to overheating and cracking.
If they don't need machining you shouldnt.
Not trying to pick an argument just giving sound advice.

Dwayne

btw, u can buy bullitt brakes, (same 13" system like the cobra's), for $330-ish.

Ive been looking around for these and they are fairly expensive now.....around the 450+ area....buyfordracing wants 500 for them shipped...ouch!

Same thing happens to me with the stock rotors and its time for an upgrade.

Any place to buy these around the 330 price? Thanks

600? Damn buddy, go to buyfordracing.com. I paid 400 SHIPPED for my kit w/ stainless steel lines.
Their $399.00 kit only includes rotors, calipers, pads, and lines to do the front brakes:

10th Anniversary Cobra Brake Package
• Same calipers as used on the 2003 10th Anniversary Cobras!!
• Fits 1994-04 Mustangs / Cobras
• Kit includes:
- 2 New Brembo Brake Rotors
- 2 New 10th Anniversary Brake Calipers
- 2 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Includes Brake Pads!!

Quote honestly, if I was doing a brake upgrade, I'd replace both the front and rear brakes and go all out.

Now, if you found a FRONT AND REAR brake upgrade kit for $400...please tell me where, as you'll save me a LOT of money when it comes time to upgrade those bad boys.

I've got a lot of experience with the cobra rotors and calipers. For the most part, they are fine for most driving but they are still 2-piston calipers. My suggestion is to then get Powerslot rotors and a harder pad such as EBC or one of the other performance pads. This way when the pads are gone, the rotors get thrown out also. You won't warp anymore and I've pushed this combination hard on track days.

In addition, get braided lines and flush your system. On the track though, this combination still fades. I'm putting 2000R Brembos on my fronts now to see if this takes care of the problem.