Aftermarket Speakers

Oct 12, 2016
a lot of people say that with the mach460 sound system you should get component speakers or just not do aftermarket speakers at all. Has anyone ever put aftermarket speakers in their Mach 460 system and got good results??. I want to just get some 6x8 coaxial instead of doing the whole component thing.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think distortion and poor sound quality would be the issue,have you considered bypassing the mach system and just connecting to the head unit? Though the correct harness to bypass the mach system would probably cost somewhere near the correct component speakers :scratch:
On second thought,maybe watch eBay for some quality component speakers :D lol

Componets will be your best bet. The mach system works really well when paired with the right speakers. Just adding a speaker that isn't matched with the factory amps results in less than desirable results as described.

They are not in the sense that you're thinking.

How I've done it in the past (when not running an independent aftermarket amp). Run a nice 5 1/4 or 6.5 component set up front. Use the door speaker as the feed for the crossover and it gets a full range to handle tweets and mids. The rear deck can just be replaced with a nice 5x7/6x8 3 way speaker. You can run 2 way's if you have a head unit that can pre filter the frequency and you have actual sub's to make up the low end of the spectrum.

As with stereo's there are a million different schools of thought and ways to do it. If you're wanting a good upgrade then components and aftermarket amps are the way to do it but it turns into a lot of work and can get pricey.

The best quality and easiest way to go, as well as most expensive, is to throw all the factory junk in the garbage can. From there, you run an aftermarket head unit to an amp or amps, run components in the front, delete the rears, and throw a sub somewhere, most likely the trunk.

The sound quality in a Mustang is going to suck regardless though. Between the road noise, creaks, and rattles, you can't get excellent sound. I'm bypassing my Mach 460 stuff and just running four mid-tier speakers off an aftermarket head unit. It's so noisy headed down the road that it doesn't matter. The flip side of that is my pickup. It is very quiet so I didn't feel bad about stuffing $3-4k worth of audio in it. I don't think it's worth it with a Mustang.