Air conditioning question

1991stanggt

Sep 23, 2003
My air conditioning blows well but the air is either not too hot not cold and the guy i bought it from says it needs a new AC clutch...I scanned my codes and it pulled up the AC clutch code(67). Does anybody know how much this part costs, how to put it in, where its located, how hard it is to replace, etc.

Thanks

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

ive got the same problem....except i can see that my clutch is busted because the outer part of my compressor spins freely...i probably need a new compressor...but i want to know about the clutch too.

1991stanggt said:
My air conditioning blows well but the air is either not too hot not cold and the guy i bought it from says it needs a new AC clutch...I scanned my codes and it pulled up the AC clutch code(67). Does anybody know how much this part costs, how to put it in, where its located, how hard it is to replace, etc.

Thanks

Matt

Code 67 is usually because you had the A/C on or forgot to depress the clutch pedal when you ran the test. It has nothing to do with how cold the A/C gets.

The A/C clutch is about $100 new or you can buy a compressor from the junkyard with a working clutch for about $50. The puller is about $16 if you have to buy one, Autozone will rent you one for free.

The clutch hub is usually what fails, the rubber shock damper shears off from the steel hub and plate.The pulley turns, but the hub doesn't when you power up the A/C. The hub comes off without much problem if you have the puller. You don’t have to do anything with the refrigerant (R12 or R134a), you can replace the clutch without draining and refilling the system.

A few simple electrical tests are advised before popping out the wallet to buy a clutch assembly. With the engine running, use a test light connected to the 2 wires on the A/C clutch harness to make sure you have voltage when you turn the A/C on. If the system is low on refrigerant, the clutch will not engage (safety feature, keeps you from burning up the compressor due to no oil). There is an aluminum canister on the firewall with a large hose leading to the A/C compressor. There is a pressure switch on it with a 2 wire connector: pull the connector off and jumper the wires. The compressor circuit will power up, and the test light will light if the electrical circuit is good. This test is also a good way to check the compressor & clutch if the system is low on refrigerant. You can jumper the wires and the compressor will turn if the clutch is good.