Air Shocks...

MustangDuce

Nov 15, 2006
Before everyone gets riled up about air shocks again, please read my whole post and think about it for a minute....

Suppose I was having a mild case of one legged wheel spin and a little bit of a crooked launch that's eating up my 60ft time. I have heard of folks using an air bag on the right rear to put a little more weight on the tire to stick it down and help the car launch strait. What's stopping me from using air shocks on my II to do the same thing? Of course they would have independent supply lines to adjust them individually, and only a few psi. (even though I dig the 100 psi 'stink butt' look from the 70's and 80's please restrict comments)

Just a thought...

• Sponsors (?)

Money is the name of the game

Yep that's exactly what I thought. Slicks and rims to put them on are going to run 150+ apiece, SSM isn't making traction bars anymore, and I have heard someone else is making them but I'm sure they aren't cheap, and we all know lockers and such are pretty costly too. Beleive me I want all these things, but it's going to be a while. I just want to hook what Ive got (not much) to the ground for now, and address the traction as it becomes an issue. On another note:OT: Who is the guy with the roadster project and what is he going to use for taillights? Not that I will copy it, but I am curious and it gets the thought process going about what else might not look to bad.

Yes there is a guy named Stumpy that sells Traction bars and Subframe connectors for IIs. I have the TBs which are very nice and I now others that have his SFCs and they say the wormanship is on par with anything you'd get from the Summit Racing catalog.

MustangDuce said:
Before everyone gets riled up about air shocks again, please read my whole post and think about it for a minute....

Ok.

... What's stopping me from using air shocks on my II to do the same thing?

The lower spring plate the lower end of shock bolts to.

Its pretty wimpy.

Actually I was looking at a mini-spool... I could put up with tough corners, It will probably only see a few street miles (just to scare the neighbors). I have heard that minis are not really the best way to go, but then again I was also looking at air shocks! There have also been rumors that Detroit also makes an EZ-Locker for a 9inch that supposedly fits in an 8" carrier too.

Hey jeffnoel, you sparked my interest Stumpy's traction bars. How do they mount? Do they replace the lower shock/spring mount? I'd like to see some pics if you (or anyone else) have them.

seriously this all sounds great and all but......it seems your looking for the cheapest way to get traction, which is going to give you minimal results if any at all. air shocks are going to do little for a one legger, its only use back in the day was to control limited slip....traction bars may give you minimal satisfaction if their installed correctly, if not they can easily make traction worse..so that leaves you with only a few options..

first is to get rid of the 13 in tires, look on ebay, put a word out here,
look locally, junkyard, im sure you could find a set of 14-15 in rims/tires cheap. ive found more than i have room for in the past. its the difference between night and day.

second you really need a posi unit with some gears if you want max traction.
same theory ebay, j-yard and so on..

now if the car needs shocks anyway, sure go ahead do air shocks.
if it doesnt, dont waste the cake. those little things you have to buy will bleed you dry. save your cash and wait till the time is right for that good deal.

MustangDuce said:

Suppose I was having a mild case of one legged wheel spin and a little bit of a crooked launch that's eating up my 60ft time. I have heard of folks using an air bag on the right rear to put a little more weight on the tire to stick it down and help the car launch strait. What's stopping me from using air shocks on my II to do the same thing? Of course they would have independent supply lines to adjust them individually, and only a few psi. (even though I dig the 100 psi 'stink butt' look from the 70's and 80's please restrict comments)

Just a thought...

I've done this. It works. It isn't comparable to a posi, but it looks good on the street and it may buy you a little on your 60'. Just don't expect miracles. This is shadetree engineering at its finest: cheap and effective, and it makes the big-money Hot Rod Nazis shake their heads and grumble. . . which means it's right up my alley. :stick: