Air Silencer

• Sponsors (?)

Sir, step away from the vehicle. Put the wrench down.

just kidding. I thought I knew too until I got my 94. Follow your intake pipe to the fender well. See the big ass black plastic box? Your airfilter is inside that. Between that and the fender is a rubber "boot." That is your air silencer....RIP IT OUT. Don't plan to see any MAJOR gains but a slight increase in mileage comes with the removal. If you can't find it with that description...you shouldn't even be NEAR a car.

RyClef331 said:
Sir, step away from the vehicle. Put the wrench down.

just kidding. I thought I knew too until I got my 94. Follow your intake pipe to the fender well. See the big ass black plastic box? Your airfilter is inside that. Between that and the fender is a rubber "boot." That is your air silencer....RIP IT OUT. Don't plan to see any MAJOR gains but a slight increase in mileage comes with the removal. If you can't find it with that description...you shouldn't even be NEAR a car.
:stupid:

jas142 said:
don't rip it out, just cut off the last 4 inches or so that extend into the fenderwall :)

Does doing this really have any effect whatsoever? What about water that could get in to the filter. Just wondering if its really even worth it. Thanks
Matt

An article in a recent 5.0 magazine (I'm pretty sure it was 5.0) dyno tested a number of common "free mods" and bolt-ons for the 4.6L and found that the removed silencer produced "0" gains (at least, on their test mule). I think most people do it to hear the intake sound rather than to get that extra 1hp.