Airbag light code "12"

Hi,
I have a 93 Mustang LX notch with a airbag light code 12 that has driven me nuts for over a year. I checked the forums and "useful info" and have done the following: disconneted the battery for several hours, removed and opened up the airbag module to check for burned up things, checked all connections to make sure they were connected. Code 12 means low voltage, but the battery is charged up and voltage is over 14 volts when running, and never had a charging problem. I have looked all over the web trying to find the problem, but can't find it. :damnit:

Thanks, Fred. :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

You and I have the same code and the same damn problem. There has to be resistance somewhere that is reducing the amount of voltage and I have yet to pin point the problem. Will let you know if I ever find it.

My airbab light is on too.

At one point I had a book (I think, this was several years ago) that listed what all the codes were and what they meant. I remember my code was a front sensor. But which one? :damnit: :bang:

Cripes! I've had at least 3 different airbag codes blinking out in my 92.Most common are codes 32 and 51.I get both of them.Bad clock spring for code 32 and intermitent short to ground or loss of battery power for code 51.i've been feeling a bit edgy about all of this.I know an airbag is their to help save your life.But having the problems it has,and I havn't had the chance to look them over (I drive my V6 regularly and havn't had a lot of free time lately),and the fact it would cost a fortune if the airbag module was faulty.I think i'd feel safer if the airbag was completly disconnected.I feel like one day I'd be cruising around someday and all of a sudden BOOM! ..the airbag pops out in my face.

These Foxbodies are notorious for having airbag electrical problems.I've seen it all too often.

I'll eventually get around to looking at it.Electrical testing takes a lot of time and patience.

MustangLX-5.0 said:
Cripes! I've had at least 3 different airbag codes blinking out in my 92.Most common are codes 32 and 51.I get both of them.Bad clock spring for code 32 and intermitent short to ground or loss of battery power for code 51.i've been feeling a bit edgy about all of this.I know an airbag is their to help save your life.But having the problems it has,and I havn't had the chance to look them over (I drive my V6 regularly and havn't had a lot of free time lately),and the fact it would cost a fortune if the airbag module was faulty.I think i'd feel safer if the airbag was completly disconnected.I feel like one day I'd be cruising around someday and all of a sudden BOOM! ..the airbag pops out in my face.

These Foxbodies are notorious for having airbag electrical problems.I've seen it all too often.

I'll eventually get around to looking at it.Electrical testing takes a lot of time and patience.

I am not real sure on this, but this is what a Ford dealership Tech. told me. The airbag will not fire if there are problems with the system. So, if a light is flashing, the bag will not fire whether while cruising or when hitting a brick wall.

edit. I just read the link above. It states that the dash light flashing will not prevent discharge during an accident.

Don't know which is right, just throwing it out there.

Any Ford tech guys out there? I don't quite know what low voltage is, since the battery and alt are operating good. All of the grounds seem to be in good shape. The car only has 99000 miles on it and I bought it with 87000, and the light has been with me ever since. It also doesn't apear to have been in an accident that would have cause the airbag to have gone off. The car is very clean with original paint.

Thanks, Fred.

gearheadfred5.0 said:
Any Ford tech guys out there? I don't quite know what low voltage is, since the battery and alt are operating good. All of the grounds seem to be in good shape. The car only has 99000 miles on it and I bought it with 87000, and the light has been with me ever since. It also doesn't apear to have been in an accident that would have cause the airbag to have gone off. The car is very clean with original paint.

Thanks, Fred.
Dont feel bad mine is very clean with only 54,000 Miles and I am the 2nd owner and its never been in an accident and we have the same damn problem! I have the schematics and its low voltage at pin 13 which leads to the back up power supply. The back up power supply says 16 to 19 volts, so there might be something that steps up the voltage that is bad in our cars.

Shakerhood said:
I have the schematics and its low voltage at pin 13 which leads to the back up power supply. The back up power supply says 16 to 19 volts, so there might be something that steps up the voltage that is bad in our cars.

This may be a place to start. I checked "useful info" web site, and there is no battery pack on the newer fox cars. There are capacitors that do the battery back up, but don't know what would step it up. Maybe the blue box is bad or something, would hate to buy a new one and not solve the problem. :shrug:

vristang said:
I am not real sure on this, but this is what a Ford dealership Tech. told me. The airbag will not fire if there are problems with the system. So, if a light is flashing, the bag will not fire whether while cruising or when hitting a brick wall.
Thats what I was told by our local Ford tech. :shrug:

itltrot said:
Thats what I was told by our local Ford tech. :shrug:

It says in the Service Manual that if the system is making 5 audible beeps from behind the dash then its probably not going to fire off the air bag in an accident. If the light is just flashing it should still operate.

gearheadfred5.0 said:
This may be a place to start. I checked "useful info" web site, and there is no battery pack on the newer fox cars. There are capacitors that do the battery back up, but don't know what would step it up. Maybe the blue box is bad or something, would hate to buy a new one and not solve the problem. :shrug:

Looking over my Schematics in my 92 Service Manual, the Back up power supply seems to be located inside the Airbag Diagnostic Monitor. Anyways it says to check the voltage from pin 13+ to pin 2- and if you have greater than 10 Volts the Monitor is bad.