Airbag Test Procedure ?

Shakerhood

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Ohio
I need to run some Diagnostic Tests on my Airbag System and was just reading the Ford Service Manual. Step 1 says to Deactivate the System by disconnecting the Battery, Step 2 says to unplug the Diagnostic Monitor, Step 3 says to measure Voltage on the Diagnostic Monitor Plugs. My question is how can you measure Voltage with the Battery disconnected? They must have left a Step out saying to reconnect the Battery, I just want to make sure I am not going to set the Airbag off by hooking the Battery back up with the Diagnostic Monitor unplugged.

• Sponsors (?)

The diagnostic monitor plugs hold an electrical charge in case the battery is damaged during a collision and allows the air bag to deploy even if battery is disconnected. During a rescue situation we will cut the battery cable then attempt to discharge the air bag so as not to deploy (if applicable). A side impact would neccesitate this type of action.

Correct, there is a Back Up Battery inside the Module that hold charge for about a Minute or so AFTER the Battery has been disconnected. The Test Procedure tells me to disconnect the Battery but then wants me to measure Voltage, my question is now that I have the Monitor Unplugged can I connect the Battery so I can measure Voltage?

92 Mustang GT, it has a Code 12, the Ford Sevice Manual want to to start with checking the Voltage at Pin 13 and Pin 2. The only way to measure Voltage between the Pins is if I have the battery hooked up, I just dont understand why thats not in the proceedure and if it is safe to hook the battery up now that the Diagnostic Monitor is unplugged.

Well to everyone on here, it is safe to hook the Battery back up while you have the Diagnostic Monitor unplugged. I hooked the Battery back up and was able to run the required Tests and the faults point at the Diagnostic Monitor as the problem, I already have a replacement, just need to swap it out!

Well to everyone on here, it is safe to hook the Battery back up while you have the Diagnostic Monitor unplugged. I hooked the Battery back up and was able to run the required Tests and the faults point at the Diagnostic Monitor as the problem, I already have a replacement, just need to swap it out!

You found the problem!

First, I want to point out that to others, that when you said
to hook the Battery back up while
You meant connecting the main car battery. Not a "backup battery". :)

Also, you were likely reading a brief procedure for just that error. Before doing ANY air bag system test, a Service person should:
1) Disconnect the battery
2) Wait 1-5 mins
3) Disconnect the air bag(s)
4) Put in air bag simulators
5) Connect the car battery
6) Do tests.

You can "back probe" the air bag connector pins. Or, there are DVM probes that have *very thin and sharp* probe ends. One of those probes ends are then used to pierce through the wire insulation so that the wire can be probed. Those probe ends are so thin, that when they are removed, no hole is left in the wire insulation. I forget the cost of a pair of those probe leads. My "wild *ss" guess is ~$50. Yup, I have a pair from over 15 years ago.

Back to the code 12 error. Yea, it's one of those errors that should never really come up. Many months ago, another person and I spent a while tracking down the problem. It ended up being a bad diagnostic module. The modules are cheap. Just get one fron car-parts.com just about every place will ship, and it's one of those things that often makes sense to buy used.

I'm glad that you found the problem!

Thanks, yes I was talking about hooking the Vehicles Battery so that I could follow the Tests. The more I talked to people I found that Code 12 is a Rare Code, I ended up with 12.5 Volts between Pins 13 and 2, the Service Manual said anything over 10 Volts means the Diagnostic Module is bad.

Ford sure did not design that Monitor with Space in mind, there wasnt much room at all in there to swap out the old one with a replacement.
That's for sure! When they designed the Fox interior, there weren't air bags to worry about. Air bags weren't added until 89. So, it was a squeeze to add in the airbags. Like everything else with the Stang, to keep costs in-line and profits higher, Ford avoided doing any major changes.

So, I take it no more error 12?

That's for sure! When they designed the Fox interior, there weren't air bags to worry about. Air bags weren't added until 89. So, it was a squeeze to add in the airbags. Like everything else with the Stang, to keep costs in-line and profits higher, Ford avoided doing any major changes.

So, I take it no more error 12?

Yes, no more Code 12 Flashing in my face! Its SO nice to see the A/B Light come on when I start the car and stay on for about 4 seconds and then go out!!!!!