Alil confused...

2vNotch

Dec 6, 2011
Rogers, AR
Mayb I'm puttin the too much thought into this!? I'm wanting to change the exhaust up on my 88 coupe that has an 02 2v motor (with factory manifolds on it) and a custom JUNK xpipe with dumped flows....So do i buy an h/x pipe for 79-93 or 99-04?? I was thinking they were year specific bc of the fit to the body, but then I thought well mayb the mount up to the factory manifolds diff, or will they even at all and do I get the h or the x?
Would also like to change my 373s to 410s 0r 430s...Which ones compliment the 2v/3650 trans combo better??

• Sponsors (?)

You'll want an H/X pipe for a 99-04 2V. Any exhaust shop worth a damn will be able to make it work fine. I prefer the sound of an X pipe on mod motors and H pipe on pushrods, but it's all a matter of opinion. If you're going to drive this car on the street more than the dragstrip, I strongly recommend keeping the 3.73 gears. The maximum I'd go is to the 4.10s, but you'll sacrifice some cruising/highway manners.

PS-- Post up some pictures of your car. It looks pretty nice from your signature. :nice:

401408_2680014477743_1177721837_2356716_163998091_n.jpg
406526_2680011837677_1177721837_2356715_760491404_n.jpg

Attachments

• Optimized-johns car 1.JPG
    Optimized-johns car 1.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Optimized-johns car 1.JPG
    Optimized-johns car 1.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 45
You'll want an H/X pipe for a 99-04 2V. Any exhaust shop worth a damn will be able to make it work fine. I prefer the sound of an X pipe on mod motors and H pipe on pushrods, but it's all a matter of opinion. If you're going to drive this car on the street more than the dragstrip, I strongly recommend keeping the 3.73 gears. The maximum I'd go is to the 4.10s, but you'll sacrifice some cruising/highway manners.

PS-- Post up some pictures of your car. It looks pretty nice from your signature. :nice:
Can u xplain to me why the 99-04?

If I remember correctly the hangers are in the same place, but someone may come in here and correct me. I'd be more worried about the exhaust manifolds matching up. It really is a crapshoot with exhaust fitment anyway. Any exhaust shop can make it work and will have to make modifications regardless. I had BBK longtubes and a MAC prochamber for longtubes and my exhaust shop had to make two adapter pieces for each pipe in order to make it work. It fit like complete :poo:. It's happened the same way on every exhaust install I've done since.

Notchback is correct on the need for the 99-04 mid-pipe; the flanges from a fox body pipe won't mate to your 4.6 manifolds. The hangars are in a different location, but since they hang off the x-member/transmission, and you're running a 3650, it should with no or very little issue. All that being said, notchback is again correct that any exhaust shop worth a hoot will be able to fab up whatever is needed to hang it properly. The catback on the other hand...not totally sure-I'd probably buy the fox cat back and let the muffler shop deal with the welding and if they'll let you in the bay, tell them exactly what you want that way they can put it to your spec...

A little off subject here, but what k-member did you use in yours to swap to 4.6 and what length d/s did you use?

Good looking car btw-I like what you did with it!

Notchback is correct on the need for the 99-04 mid-pipe; the flanges from a fox body pipe won't mate to your 4.6 manifolds. The hangars are in a different location, but since they hang off the x-member/transmission, and you're running a 3650, it should with no or very little issue. All that being said, notchback is again correct that any exhaust shop worth a hoot will be able to fab up whatever is needed to hang it properly. The catback on the other hand...not totally sure-I'd probably buy the fox cat back and let the muffler shop deal with the welding and if they'll let you in the bay, tell them exactly what you want that way they can put it to your spec...

A little off subject here, but what k-member did you use in yours to swap to 4.6 and what length d/s did you use?

Good looking car btw-I like what you did with it!
Thanks! 03 Gt kmember, not sure of the driveshaft length

To add: If you are running stock exhaust manifolds, you might wanna correct that before you make any gear change. Forcing the engine to spin any harder through an RPM range w/ the stock constipators on there is kinda "horse before the water" if you ask me. And if you are intending to change the stock manifolds, might wanna do that before investing in any exhaust after that.

The xpipe thats on it has multiple leaks, id b changing it mostly for that purpose.....Id love longtubes but the more I look at it im gnna b lucky to get ANYTHNG diff in there!! Pass side has room but the drivers side factory manifold dang near lays against that steering shaft