all dash/gauge lights quit. can't find cause. please help!

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. I was driving home from work, and I noticed that my lights on my Autometer gauges and my stock cluster were not on. I was on a cell phone, so I really didn't notice exactly when they cut out. I got home, and started looking for a cause. I checked the multi-function switch, the headlight/foglight switch, all my wiring that I ran, and my fuses. Everything checked out good. The car has already had the foglight fix done that stops the switches from going south. The headlights and foglights still work fine, and the dimmer switch still turns the dome light on. I can't find why the dash illumination quit, so if anyone can lend a hand, please do so. It really sucks driving at night and not seeing what's going on with the car.

• Sponsors (?)

same exact thing happened to me, I just put on a new multifunction switch cause that was bad then i noticed the dash lights weren't working. I've been lazy and haven't even checked fuses.
I'm interested in hearing what it could be. Anyone?

two main places i would look are: the dimmer switch itself can go south. some have gotten it to work again by running the rheostat up and down a few times, and it comes back.

NO 2, is are you sure there are no loose wires for the ISO circuit? very very often, the wire for radio illumination is not used, and perhaps taped up. it will get on over to some metal and short out.

good luck.

If the fuses are good, next thing I suspect is the dimmer switch. I've seen them many times still work the dome light but no dash lights. Sometiems you can run them back and forth and get to a certain point where they will work again, or even turning on the dome light will now make all the lights work again. It's not uncommon. If you wanted to, you can bypass to check it, but if you have it all apart anyway, I'd plan on replacing it since it's probably the cause.