All kinds of clutch issues. Help!

JasinC19

What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
I finally got the engine in and tried to install trans. Couldn't get it in that last 1/4". Did some research and someone said to try stepping on the clutch a couple of times. So I got under the car and hooked up the clutch cable and could not budge the clutch fork. (with the clutch pedal)

So I remember back when I was installing my Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kit. It's my first time so I was really taking my time.

I installed a new pilot bearing. (Flush with crank)
I installed new Ford Racing Steel Flywheel
I installed clutch disc using alignment tool. (99% sure flywheel side is on the flywheel as I checked a billion times)
I installed pressure plate on top of clutch disc.
^^^ Now here is the interesting part that I remember. The pressure plate did not easily mate with the flywheel. In other words, it wouldn't contact the flywheel until I tightened the pressure plate bolts.

Then after that the clutch disc would not spin. So the pressure plate was pinching the clutch disc to the flywheel. Alignment tool went in & out no problems.

Bellhousing went on:
Installed clutch fork
Installed TOB ("fat" side towards pressure plate)
Installed bellhousing

So my questions are:
Is the pressure plate supposed to pinch the clutch disc to the flywheel so that i can't spin it?
How much pressure does it take to work the clutch fork by hand? Like if I were to use a pry bar or something?

It's been a real drag, especially since I may have to pull the engine back out...

Thanks for any help
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

The issue is probably from the splines not lining up (tranny to clutch disc). And yes, the pressure plate pushes the clutch disc against the fly wheel. This is why you do not need the alignment tool once the pressure plate is on as it holds the disc in place. Question for you. When you stepped on the clutch did you have bolts partially threaded in there already holding the tranny in position? This could possibly cause a binding situation as it (tranny) may need to back off a little before going on all the way. This is what I do and no, I am not saying you have to do it this way.I usually have someone else push the clutch while I am underneath it and sliding the tranny on the last little bit. I bolt two bolts on (opposing corners) before I have them let go.

DISCLAIMER: This is what works for me and in no way am I saying you have to do this. This is my experience with working on my personal vehicles and I am not a mechanic. My vehicle is properly and securely off the ground while I am underneath working on it.

Good luck. let us know what you figure out.

Old Blue...if it makes you feel any better I do the same thing.

Nice Disclaimer btw.....

Its just out of alignment can be a real pia, try wiggling the trans a little while the clutch is depressed, it may slide right in.

Try putting the trans in gear and slide the driveshaft in and turn it a little bit to rotate the splines on the input shaft.. I agree with the other guys, the splines are most likely not lined up.

Question for you. When you stepped on the clutch did you have bolts partially threaded in there already holding the tranny in position?

Hey,

Yeah I did. It was just me at the time. I thought it help align things.

After I installed the bellhousing I was messing around with it to see how the clutch worked. I never depressed the fork by hand hard enough to disengage the clutch, but maybe hard enough to get it just out of alignment. (maybe)

So I'm thinking I could take trans the rest of the way out, have a buddy step on clutch, and put alignment tool in to realign it. With the clutch in, is there enough clearance between pressure plate/clutch disc to move it around by hand with the tool?

Then I can try to put the trans back in and have him feather the clutch a bit.

Question: If the trans is not even "in", and stepping on the clutch pedal won't budge the fork, what would the problem then be?

Thanks a lot guys for your help
Jason

Hey,

Yeah I did. It was just me at the time. I thought it help align things.

After I installed the bellhousing I was messing around with it to see how the clutch worked. I never depressed the fork by hand hard enough to disengage the clutch, but maybe hard enough to get it just out of alignment. (maybe)

So I'm thinking I could take trans the rest of the way out, have a buddy step on clutch, and put alignment tool in to realign it. With the clutch in, is there enough clearance between pressure plate/clutch disc to move it around by hand with the tool?

Then I can try to put the trans back in and have him feather the clutch a bit.

Question: If the trans is not even "in", and stepping on the clutch pedal won't budge the fork, what would the problem then be?

Thanks a lot guys for your help
Jason
I doubt you pushed the fork clutch enough by hand to cause a misalignment with the disc.Most pressure plates require a whole lot more force to move them just a little. The fact you can get the tranny all but the last 1/4" would lead me to believe the alignment is fine and the splines aren't aligned exactly right. no biggie. Just don't try to force it by tightening the bolts without it being aligned. Should pretty much slide into place as much as a 200 lb tranny can slide HA.

Old Blue...if it makes you feel any better I do the same thing.

Nice Disclaimer btw.....

Its just out of alignment can be a real pia, try wiggling the trans a little while the clutch is depressed, it may slide right in.
Thanks Rick, I need to get with you for upper and lower torque box equipment one of these days.

Yeah I was just frustrated because I was holding it up and moving it up, down, and all around and it felt like it was pressed up against a concrete wall.

I'm going to try more again tonight after work. A friend of mine is coming over to also to work the clutch.

The alignment was fine. I yanked the engine to see what the problem was.

Turns out that the inner lip of the bellhousing hole that accepts the input shaft of the trans was a tiny bit too small.

Probably because of the paint I used. And also I have a new bearing retainer on the input shaft of the T5. Once I sanded the paint down it went most of the way in and the bolt pulled it on the last 16th of an inch or so.