All season or Summer? 35 or 40?

01Stang65

Jan 19, 2017
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but... I have an opportunity to get some chrome saleens and want to know which tire route to go. They are 18x9/10 and these are my options:

18x9/10 with sumitomos HTRZ2. Possibly would have to run them through the winter on non snowy days.

18x9/10 with no tires, and search around for all seasons to run year round. How would 285/40 and 255/35 look? I can get some continental extreme contacts pretty cheap.

I'm lowered on BBk probably 1.5 or 2 inches.

• Sponsors (?)

What do you have now for wheels and tires?

255/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear would look great.

When picking between summer and all season tires make sure you look at your weather & power levels. As an example I live in the South so I never worry about snow or freezing weather. I use summer tires all year.

The thing to know about all season tires is that they equally suck at all seasons. If you have snow or weather regularly below freezing I would always advocate a set of summer tires for summer, a set of snow tires for winter (put winter tires on you “old” rims). Specifically designed tire for the season will always outperform an “all season”.

What do you have now for wheels and tires?

255/35/18 front and 285/35/18 rear would look great.

When picking between summer and all season tires make sure you look at your weather & power levels. As an example I live in the South so I never worry about snow or freezing weather. I use summer tires all year.

The thing to know about all season tires is that they equally suck at all seasons. If you have snow or weather regularly below freezing I would always advocate a set of summer tires for summer, a set of snow tires for winter (put winter tires on you “old” rims). Specifically designed tire for the season will always outperform an “all season”.
My GT is stock aside from exhaust... Im not worried about over powering the tires right now lol.

During the winters, I see 10 degree weather, during the summer, I see 110 degree weather. Those are extremes for both seasons. The car will see rain, the car will never see snow. I have a vehicle to drive when there is actually snow on the ground. But if it is freezing outside, and roads are clear I drive the stang.

I am selling my current factory wheels and tires to buy new chrome saleens, and whatever tire I get for it is staying for the time being. I won't buy another set of seasonal wheels and tires.

I remember having all seasons with just boltons. Little squirrelly at temps that low depending if I was slightly too spirited in my driving (when I lived further north). With that weather - If it were me I would keep the old rims and put winter tires on them to insure the best possible traction when the temp drops below freezing. I would put summer tires on the saleens for when temps are above freezing.

If you prefer just going with all seasons that works too.