All set for Preorders

Sxhawnn

Apr 11, 2004
I just dropped by my local ford dealer and I'm all set for a pre order
Question though. This dealer wants a 1000 deposit and is willing to write up a contract ensuring a vin number and that they won't screw me over by selling my pre ordered car off to someone else. The pricing is going to start at MSRP meaning no retarded markups and we'll be able to start haggling at around MSRP. Has anyone else heard of dealers asking for the big 1000 deposit instead of 500. All of it is refundable but still, I just thought it was kind of unusual. If all goes well, i should have a preorder finalized on a mineral gray GT with aluminum cast wheels, and light graphite leather in about week. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Sxhawnn said:
I just dropped by my local ford dealer and I'm all set for a pre order
Question though. This dealer wants a 1000 deposit and is willing to write up a contract ensuring a vin number and that they won't screw me over by selling my pre ordered car off to someone else. The pricing is going to start at MSRP meaning no retarded markups and we'll be able to start haggling at around MSRP. Has anyone else heard of dealers asking for the big 1000 deposit instead of 500. All of it is refundable but still, I just thought it was kind of unusual. If all goes well, i should have a preorder finalized on a mineral gray GT with aluminum cast wheels, and light graphite leather in about week. :nice:

Don't trust this dealer... I have preordered Mustangs twice in my life, this is now the 3rd time, and they cannot give you a VIN number until production starts. The dealer is misleading you.

.... Could you explain a little more? I know i can't get a vin number yet but they can't really screw me if the deposit is 100 percent refundable and plus doesn't a written contract mean anything?

Sxhawnn said:
.... Could you explain a little more? I know i can't get a vin number yet but they can't really screw me if the deposit is 100 percent refundable and plus doesn't a written contract mean anything?

Of course, you can get all the money back. And all the contract means is they have to provide you with what you ordered or return your money. It doesn;t say when they have to provide what you ordered. In other words, without a VIN assigned and on the contract, your car could come in and someone could offer more for it than you. They will sell it and just order another for you.That's why, this is what I do everytime I preorder a car: I preorder prior to final pricing and options with $500 down. When prices and options are announced I tweak the order. When the cars actually start being built, Ford can assign VIN numbers. At this time I have the dealer add the VIN to my contract so that they cannot sell out my car. No dealership has control over when a car comes in, but when mine comes in, they are contractually obligated to sell it to me. When I said don't trust your dealer, I said that because he said he would assign a VIN when he can't. That's being dishonest. Just makes me wonder what else he is being dishonest about.

Oh sorry i think you missunderstood. She mentioned the vin number but said it will be availabe around august and thats when we would finalize the contract.

How in the Heck?

I live in SO. California and so far there isn't a dealer around that will take my order. The dealers won't commit to a price. I would almost bet in our area that they will actually add about a $2500.00 dollar mark-up above MSRP.

WindveilGT said:
They took my order but told me the official order process hasn't yet begun. He doesn't know pricing structure yet and can in no way provide a VIN.
BTW $0 deposit.

Congratulations, it sounds like you found an honest dealer! :nice: