All supercharged applications...help me out...

• Sponsors (?)

Isn't it true that if you are building a new motor for a blown application, you should build it up and break it in with the supercharger on it?

If you only have 5-6k to spend if you do a short block first that will eat up most of that money right there if you are having someone else install it. As far as blowers go, Id go a T-Trim or Novi 2000, I’m going to be upgrading to a T in the near future.

The problem is with the cars you want to run against they are making mid 500s and I know the Supras are lighter so you would have to be making high 500 if not 600 rwhp.

Here’s a list of what you’d need:

Forged Short Block: $4000 (VT Sportsman)
Blower Cams: $500
Heads: $1500-2500
Supercharger: $3795+ (Mongoose SQ-Trim) T-Trim will be more
8 Rib Kit w/ Pulley: $650
Paxton A/A IC: $1500 (Could do custom for cheaper)
Vortech Mini Race: $250
Cobra Tank/Pumps: $1000 (can be bought cheaper)

Total: $13200 and that’s on the light side. This is also without upgrading suspension or your rear end and you installing everything your self.

In all honesty, if I could do it all over again I would have bought a Cobra. Cheaper to mod and you can make tons of power with out having to tare into the engine.

Add a TKO or Viper T-56...

They have a flat tq curve but their hp continually rises until redline.

Exactly.

Hense the definition of horsepower :nice:

Don't worry about those Supras though. They're all dyno queens ;) 1200hp quad-turbos and they'll still owe Vin Diesel a 10 second car.

Isn't it true that if you are building a new motor for a blown application, you should build it up and break it in with the supercharger on it?

Add a TKO or Viper T-56...

Exactly.

Hense the definition of horsepower :nice:

Don't worry about those Supras though. They're all dyno queens ;) 1200hp quad-turbos and they'll still owe Vin Diesel a 10 second car.

haha, I love that response.

Yeah.. speaking from experiance with the KB and a centri (procharger).. if you just street race highway style, from rolls at different RPMs, I would say the instant power of the KB is definitely better. I run on the highway quite a bit, and I'm not disappointed in the twin screw.

Rather than having to be "in you boosting rpm" for your best chance at something.. the KB is good at the drop of a gear, at any speed or RPM. It makes things a lot easier.

Twin screws being a low end power only blower is a common misconception. They have a flat tq curve but their hp continually rises until redline. KB 1.7L and 2.1L max potential is more limited than other centris and the larger 2.2L and 2.6L blowers. But a KB 2.2 or 2.6L can turn any car into a street and highway monster. There's are KB'ed 2Vs topping 700rwhp now, and even one with a 2.8L making over 900rwhp.

I kinda worded that wrong. What I meant was that the KB type blower will be making power pretty much instantly and from down low, it will slowly taper off in the higher RPMS. The Centri on the other hand will take a bit to spool up but the faster you go the more power you'll gain. Centris are more for high RPM runs and KB's are more for dig runs (minus the whole lack of traction issue).

wow, centris are getting trashed! if you are driving in a centri car and want to get on it, just downshift to put you in your power band. that is the difference, the kb can just step on it, and the centri will have to down shift and step on it.

I kinda worded that wrong. What I meant was that the KB type blower will be making power pretty much instantly and from down low, it will slowly taper off in the higher RPMS. The Centri on the other hand will take a bit to spool up but the faster you go the more power you'll gain. Centris are more for high RPM runs and KB's are more for dig runs (minus the whole lack of traction issue).

That's not exactly correct either. If the KB is properly sized to the engine combo and not over-spun, it won't taper off at the top. The same applies to centri blowers too. Get a blower that's too smal for the application and it will taper off as well.

All things being equal (though we're comparing apples to oranges), a centri blower capable of displacing air equivalent to a 2L twin screw (for instance) will generally make more peak HP. It's largely the result of the velocity of the air exiting the centri vs. the screw type.

wow, centris are getting trashed! if you are driving in a centri car and want to get on it, just downshift to put you in your power band. that is the difference, the kb can just step on it, and the centri will have to down shift and step on it.

I do not understand this comment one bit at all.

If you want to get on any car while cruising, you have to downshift. I don't expect people to just slam it to the floor in 5th or 6th gear if they plan on "getting on it"

The fact of the matter is the KB will be making instant power, from any RPM level. On the other hand, centri type blowers have to be in their boost, which requires you to make a more specific downshift, to find proper RPM. A twin screw blower can handle 5th to 4th gear shifts with WOT and show power as soon as you slam it. Centri blowers will bog nasty untill the boost comes on as 4th gear gains RPMS.

Either way.. if you want to "get on it" in any car.. you have to downshift.. thats why I don't understand this comment.

I like the centri's ALOT (the sound and setup at least)

The only supercharged mustang I've ever driven is my friends 03 cobra...i liked the instant power...but it seemed to reach its kick really fast and not pull much harder after reaching that kick....4500-redline-ish

And I have been in alot of fast turbo cars too...NEVER a centri-supercharged though...how similar is the spool setup???

What kind of "lag" are you guys experiencing in the lower RPM's???

Would a T-Trim experience alot of "lag" or surging before 3 or 4 grand???

I haven't read all of the posts so I don't know what pissing contests are going on between the centi and twin screw camps as there always is :D , I'll just give my .02. I have a Sean Hyland 5.0 Modular Stroker with a KB pulleyed @14 PSI but only seeing 10PSI actual due to the bigger bottom end displacement and I think I have a manifold leak which I still have been to lazy to fix. My car is pushing 450rwhp as it sits and is a street monster. I do really like the KB. It has massive torque down low and still really really pulls up top. My HP curve was still going up at 6250rpm on the dyno. If you are doing mostly street driving get a KB. If you are a track guy get a Vortech YSI trim blower, they are good up to and over 1200HP. They just started making the reverse rotation YSI trim for us mod motor guys late last year.

I like the centri's ALOT (the sound and setup at least)

The only supercharged mustang I've ever driven is my friends 03 cobra...i liked the instant power...but it seemed to reach its kick really fast and not pull much harder after reaching that kick....4500-redline-ish

And I have been in alot of fast turbo cars too...NEVER a centri-supercharged though...how similar is the spool setup???

What kind of "lag" are you guys experiencing in the lower RPM's???

Would a T-Trim experience alot of "lag" or surging before 3 or 4 grand???

I suppose you could consider me biased, but I feel a steady pull to 6 grand with my KB GT in all 4 gears.

Centi supercharged vehicles drive ALOT like turbo cars. They require a build up of pressure. Turbo's just use the exhuast side, and the centri's just use the intake side.

If you can deal with not having instant power, then centri would be the best bet. You can probably end up paying less overall for a centri setup. You can also control boost with a centri setup, whereas you'd have to change pulleys on a twin screw or roots type.

I personally can't stand the excuse "I wasn't in my boost" and all of the other excuses the civic boys use.

A centri might be a faster setup in some cases compared to a roots/twin screw.. but I'll still take the instant power and torque. The feel of instant power is worth it to me.

With twin screw/roots.. you're never "out of your boost".

my car doesnt lag if you know how to drive it. i make 2 psi at 3000 rpm and i'm at 9 psi by 4800 it doesnt take long to get there and it doesnt blow the tires off when you stop it like my buddys KB car.

i have some videos of 70 mph burnouts in his car if anyone is interested.

my car doesnt lag if you know how to drive it. i make 2 psi at 3000 rpm and i'm at 9 psi by 4800 it doesnt take long to get there and it doesnt blow the tires off when you stop it like my buddys KB car.

i have some videos of 70 mph burnouts in his car if anyone is interested.

LOL...I'd love to watch those...please PM them to me

How do you like your centri overall?

i love my blower. it is perfect on the street and strip. it wont instantly pin you to the seats like a KB will but even my buddy says he likes the way mine drives on the street better than his.

i'll throw the video clips together and post it up now.

well, i wasnt talking about high speeds in 5th gear and downshifting to 4th.

i was talking lower speeds maybe 50mph in 3rd gear then then downshifting to 2nd at that speed come race time. i think you would be right around the of the power band of the centri.

well, my whole point is that i dont think its too hard to get he centri in their powerband. i mean now even without a power added, in first and second gear im at redline in no time.