ALMOST the worst day of my life.

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
But luckily I caught the fuel leaking all over the back of the engine just mere inches from the hot headers BEFORE I drove it.

My 68 hasn't been started in at least 3 months, maybe 4, so I thought I would crank it up and let it warm up and maybe take it for a short drive, because it's so nice today.

I walked off for a little while to find an air tank so I could air up a tire and left it idling for about 10 minutes or so, and when I came back I smelled gas. So I popped my hood to see fuel shooting from the filter all over the back of my intake and a huge puddle in the top of the back of the block, between the back of the intake and the front of the bellhousing. There was also quite a puddle on the ground.

I think if I would have driven it that surely fuel would have sprayed on the headers.

I think I'm going to get rid of that stupid filter. You know the little clear one with replacement elements that the ends unscrew. I think it was coming past the little rubber seals at the ends of the filter.

Losing this car would have been like losing a loved one. This was my first Mustang, and will always be the one that stays. I've had a lot of Mustangs come and go, but this one will stay with me no matter what. I've had it for almost 10 years now, and considering that I'm only 27, that's a good portion of my life.

It just made me realize how much I actually appreciate my 68.

• Sponsors (?)

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about my 65. I have had it since 93 when I was 15.

Its a good thing you noticed that. I have never had issues with those type of filters. My 65 has always had one, even back in high school when it was still an I6. I like being able to see if there is trash coming from the tank. I have it located before the fuel filter and then an Edelbrock filter before the carb.

Your talking about the ones like this right?

http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDet...jID=220&minID=2204&selection=5&minselection=2

Yep, that's it. I like being able to see what's in there, and the ease and cheapness of swapping the elements, but now I'm afraid it might happen again and I might not be so quick to catch it.

I almost had a real bad day too. noticed louder and louder vibrations from the rear, got home and my driveshaft bolts were completly loose, haha, fixed um, must have been loose for a while too, now my car so so smooth going down the freeway

Since I have mine located just before the fuel pump between the pump and the inner fender, if it leaks it will just leak on the gound. Maybe you could relocate yours.

Interesting, i have the same fuel filter installed in my car. When i take the Stang out after winter i will have a definitive look on the filter.
I`m glad to see that you realized the error before it could make some massive damage!

Since I have mine located just before the fuel pump between the pump and the inner fender, if it leaks it will just leak on the gound. Maybe you could relocate yours.

Yeah, maybe that's what I'll do. I had it mounted up in the center of the firewall, just under that pinch weld for the cowl, because it was easy to see and access. It still would be easy under the car too.