Alternator 100 or 130 AMP

Hello everybody,
I will appreciate recommendation for my 90GT.
I've notice there are model that are plug and play that require no modification vs other that require a bit of a work.
please recommend from your experience about the one that is plug and play that can provide 130.
thanks for your help
Meir

• Sponsors (?)

I don't quite understand what you are asking?
The thread title asks what capacity, as if you know something about the conversion.
You post indicates the opposite.
Is it possible that your 90GT has already been converted?
The original alternator (2G) has an external fan, the 3G & newer have internal fans.
The 3G is almost a direct replacement. There are how-to's all over the internet.
http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/index.htm

Thanks for the link.
the first thing I learn that the existing alternator installed my GT is 3rd generation. it doesn't have external fan.that been said, does it mean the existing setup is ready to accept a new 3rd generation without modification?
I would like to try and do the work my self and not go to the shop, so I'm asking as much as I can to make sure I'm clear on the process. (and minimize surprises..)
thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2019-04-14 08.39.19.jpg
    2019-04-14 08.39.19.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 371
it need to be replaced.
are you able to determine which alternator (brand/model) will work for me as Plug and Play without making modification and other wiring based on the pic?

Just go to your local auto parts store and ask for an alternator for a 1994 Mustang GT. Should be a direct swap.

You'll need to swap your pulley over.

The SN95's come with a larger 3" pulley on them that doesn't work too well on the fox body. Larger diameter slows down the alt speed. Typically, you zip the nut off with an impact, remove the pulley and swap on the fox one. Everything else is plug and play considering you already have a 3G alt installed.

Hard to see from the pic, but you may already have the larger pulley installed anyway. If it's about 3" in OD, then it is the SN95 pulley. In that case, just swap it. But if it's smaller in OD, you should use that pulley instead. The larger pulley may give you issues at idle in maintaining a charge. The smaller diameter pulley can help with this.

I took some pictures. please see attached. the pulley is 2 1/2 inch, so follow the comment above, i should use it on the SN95 model?

I tried to see which brand the ALT is, and I just can't find any logo :(

Iv'e talked to CJPonyparts, and they have 130AMP (PA Performance) but they mentioned I need to buy cable kit with it. (where this come from..?). my question, based on the pictures attached, can I buy the SN95 model (130 amp) replace the polley and just plug and play or a wiring job is involve as well?

2019-05-01 12.35.19.jpg
2019-05-01 12.36.22.jpg
2019-05-01 12.37.47.jpg
2019-05-01 12.36.11.jpg

Since you already have the 130A alt, you don't need the cable kit. The big wire hooked to the red connector is your main power wire.

Everything I see looks like a factory 94-95 GT alt that has been installed on a fox. 1 large 4ga power wire, one larger main plug, and a small white single wire plug.

Compare pulley size with the replacement alt. It's been some years but pretty sure SN95 alt pulley is near 3". I would swap the pulleys.

Once in a while you might see a sticker on an alt identifying it as a reman, but for the most part the 94-95 alt did not have any markings on it. My alt is a part-store 94-95 alt, and doesn't say anything on it at all. Can't remember what brand it is, but it's over 20 years old and still going strong

what was mentioned above, purchase a replacement alternator for a 94gt mustang from parts store and compare the pulley size. You want the smaller one so if your old pulley is smaller swap it onto the new alternator and your good. If yo use the larger pulley it will turn too slow at idle and you want get a full charge while sitting idling and you'll have flickering headlights etc. just swap to the smaller pulley of the two

first, thanks for the info and help. much appreciate.
I will practice at the nearest yankyard.
starting 94 to what year Ford sold the Mustang with default 130AMP?
the junkyard have mustangs from 96-2001...will that work and does it must be a GT(8 cylinder)?

thanks again
Meir

Recently changed out my 10+ year old 3G alternator with one from LMR. Think it was a SVE unit and came with upgraded wiring kit. Price was great. Install was a breeze. The upgraded wire also very easy to add, and a great idea. Visit the website and watch the video.