alternator upgrade?

• Sponsors (?)

I Wouldnt waste my time with that. go with the 3g alt from a 94+ mustang. it is rated at 130 amps and will power anything you want. if that is not enough I believe the 6g from the 5.4's is 200 amps.
somone correct me if I am wrong.
any alt that you upgrade to will require new 4guage power wire w/fuse link from the alt to the starter relay and a 4guage ground wire to match it.

yes, the plug is the same, but you will need to cut/cap the 2 black/orange wires.

do a search in the tech forum, this gets covered quite a bit.

anyone use this summit 100amp alternator before:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D810303P&N=700+4294925143+4294839060+4294880793+4294908331+4294908282+4294840126+4294924930+115&autoview=sku

just wondering if its a plug and play type deal or if i have to start upgrading wires? i wanna upgrade to an electric fan and i was hoping this will do the trick.

thanks
jim

Look at my thread.(link is below) there are pics etc there.
Theres also a link to a person on ebay that sells 200 amp alts for 136.99 shipped. It will handle anything you decide to do.

I have dual elec fans. The needle dosent even flench.

3 g conversion will require you to grind the alt bracket just a little bit to make room for the bigger body alt. It takes less than a miniute to grind it out. It will be obvious where to grind when you get the alt. The 3g bolts up the same as the stock one.
You will want to run a heavy guage wire from the alt charging lug to the solinoid or the battery.

I would also add a heavy duty ground wire as well.

The conversion is easy and its worth it.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=733929

ok i think i have things pretty well mapped out...i got a really good price on a 3g for a 94 and i have about 10 feet or so of 4gauge wire left over from an amp install. I may have to get a few connectors but thats no biggie. Oh, and for one last question, is it necessary to use a link or can i use a fuse holder, wouldnt' it be the same thing really? If so, what amperage? Thanks guys.

Jim

I used switch to starter 4 ga cables when I did mine. Might be a little better than stereo wire. Can get different lengths from the parts store. If you need any help, lots have done the conversion and would be glad to help.

do a search in the tech forum. this has been covered in depth.
+1 on the starter cables. I wish I had seen those at the auto store before I hit up the sound shop for 12 feet of 4g stereo cables.

I heard PA Performance has good alternators...that's what I am planning to order.

Mine crapped out on me, The PA 3g is nothing but a 130 amp alt. Its just a stock unit with a pa sticker on it.

I am real happy with the $136.00 200 amp one I bought on ebay.

In makes sense to me to buy something that you can find at most parts stores. That is why I went with the 95 amp 3g from a Ford Econoline Van. I would have went with a 130, but my 4 cyl bracket was really in the way. With this one I can change it anywhere and be back on the road again. No waiting for the Big Brown Truck to arrive at my door.

I heard PA Performance has good alternators...that's what I am planning to order.

It's just a stock alternator sold by them.

You still need to upgrade the wiring like a typical 3G conversion.

Anyone who swaps alts and doesn't use the 4G power wire is asking for trouble. The stock 10G wires will quickly burn up with serious amperage through them.

Besides, if you guys plan on running electric fans and maybe electric water pumps, you are going to want 130A alts. The stock 65/75 Amp alts just don't cut it

It's just a stock alternator sold by them.

You still need to upgrade the wiring like a typical 3G conversion.

Anyone who swaps alts and doesn't use the 4G power wire is asking for trouble. The stock 10G wires will quickly burn up with serious amperage through them.

Besides, if you guys plan on running electric fans and maybe electric water pumps, you are going to want 130A alts. The stock 65/75 Amp alts just don't cut it

True, get a 130 amp minimum. Also what most people do not realize is that at the Alt there are 2 10g wires. If you cut the tape back youll find that about 8-10" down the 2 wires tie together into one 10g wire.

well i got the alternator mounted up today...had to trim the bracket like everyone mentioned... i went to the car audio place the other day to get the fuse for the holder and the one that i had wasnt rated for the amperage...i decided to take a slightly different route...i got a car circuit breaker so ill never have to replace the fuse, not to mention it looks sweet...anyway i started running the wiring and im going to try and finish it up tomorrow...i just need to get one of those connectors for the stator wire cause its smaller than the normal ones...il try and get pics up soon...

jim

I did the 3g pa upgrade and now the car won't start. after the alt went out I trickle charged the battery. I looked at the solenoid and put everything on the side it says but the car will not start. The fuel pump turns on and the radio and electric fan comes on but the car will not start. I made sure all of the wires on the alt are connected right. I bought the solenoid from napa so I wanted to know if the 2 spots where wires connect is the wrong way. Even with the power wire kit, everything should go on one side on the solenoid. the only wire that should be on the other side is the ground thick black wire right? I have everything else on the other side and the car does not start