Aluminum Driveshaft, Any power gain??

FayetteNam87

Aug 20, 2005
I was looking into an aluminum drive shaft for my 95 gt. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these. You would think it would make a difference because of less rotating mass. Im running out of bolt-ons so im looking into

• Sponsors (?)

Yep - I would not do it for a freeing-up of power, but rather because you have vibration issues or something with the stock DS.

Dont get me wrong - they are nice. Just dont expect to set any records with the addition of one. :D

dude, if u gain 5 hp to the wheels it would be a record. its good for driveline vibration issues like others here have said and reducing some reciprocating mass, but with the prices on these going up about $100 u might be better spending the money elsewhere doing some other bolt-ons. do u have basic motor bolt ons?

You have to remember that though the alum DS is lighter, it has a larger diameter. This changes the moment, which takes away a little from serious parasitic-related gains.

You'll gain nothing in the seat-o-pants meter, nor at the track. The dyno may show a slight improvement but you'll never see it in terms of speed/power in the real world.

I'm on my second aluminum DS and it did NOTHING for the vibrations I had. I'm not a believer in it helping that other than the U joints are new and that IMO is the only reason it helps people with their vibration problems. I had new U joints in my old stock DS and thus the new DS made no difference with the problems I was having.

Killercanary said:
You'll gain nothing in the seat-o-pants meter, nor at the track. The dyno may show a slight improvement but you'll never see it in terms of speed/power in the real world.

I'm on my second aluminum DS and it did NOTHING for the vibrations I had. I'm not a believer in it helping that other than the U joints are new and that IMO is the only reason it helps people with their vibration problems. I had new U joints in my old stock DS and thus the new DS made no difference with the problems I was having.
You're absolutely right. Brand new mustangs with good u-joints dont vibrate from 90mph-up. I actually swapped out the u-joints in my stock DS on my fox and it cured my sloppy vibration problem. Replacing the u-joints can be a pita though. I also want to add that sometimes a DS can get out of balance and that can cause them to vibrate too.

It is amazingly easy for a DS to get an imbalance, or even become slightly bent (I would venture to say that a few of us have DS's with a bit of run-out).

I had one on my Fox, and now one on my SN95.. It was one of the first mods I did to my 94.. and I love em. Man its smooth as silk now compared to my stocker.. Well worth the money IMO.

Luke

"I'm on my second aluminum DS and it did NOTHING for the vibrations I had. I'm not a believer in it helping that other than the U joints are new and that IMO is the only reason it helps people with their vibration problems. "

Been there done that and KC in absolutely right.

donjohn said:
what was wrong with the first one?

The first one the front U joint let go after I had the TKO yoke installed. Thank goodness I had put the driveshaft safety loop on the car that I had laying in a box for 2yrs! I was just getting into third gear when it let go.

driveshaft2.jpg

driveshaft.jpg

Killercanary said:
The first one the front U joint let go after I had the TKO yoke installed. Thank goodness I had put the driveshaft safety loop on the car that I had laying in a box for 2yrs! I was just getting into third gear when it let go.
Wise man here. Otherwise it could have been the car that set the bar, and then pole vaulted over said bar. :( :rlaugh: