aluminum driveshaft install

• Sponsors (?)

shouldn't be a problem if you have a t5 tranny. if it's not a t5, check the length. I"m not sure if you have to have the length changed depending on the tranny. do a search on aluminum drive shaft, plenty of people have done it.

Yep, definetely check which tranny the driveshaft will work with. I just put one in my 98 and ended up having to reuse the stock yoke cuz I bought a GT driveshaft instead of the V6 driveshaft. Eay to do but it was an extra step I wasn't expecting.

Oh yea, it is really easy to do the swap. The hardest part is getting the 4 bolts cracked loose. They use that red loctite at the factory which holds them VERY tight. Get your hands on a propane or butane torch and heat up the bolts. It should only take about 10-15 secs of heat on heat bolt to soften the loctite. Use a 12mm 12 point box wrench and they'll break right loose. Just don't hold the heat on there for too long or you could start to melt the seal on the diff. Total time for the swap, about 30 mins. Good luck.

you will have tranny fluid poor out of the trans when you pop the oem out... so be prepared for that one, eitehr gonna haev to take teh shifter off or buy a pump to put fluid back in the tranny. the drive shaft bolts are a paint to get off... but DO NOT strip them get teh correct socket not to many sided ect get the exact fit socket to use, and when you put em back on make sure you tq them correctly. side the ds in and out of the back of the tranny easily else you will mess up that seal and have to get a new one. pull the fill plug and pump fluid in there or though the top of the tranny where the shifter was until it poors out the fill plug make sure the car is level (may as well pull drain plug and change fluid its only 8 bucks) 3 quarts needed.

installed the aluminum driveshaft today and it was easier than expected. as Spector said in an aforementioned post, tranny fluid will leak when you pull it out so be prepared to either do a refill or have a buddy ready to slip the new in.

don't expect wonders from this mod though, i'm very satisfied, but if you're expecting 15-20 ponies; save for something else. it does smooth the ride some, weighs considerably less (claims only 6lbs but felt like more), and eased the humming from my rear end after a gear and t-lok job. this is more less one of those mods you either tag team with a rear end swap or an idea you get once common mods start running low.

overall, fun mod, MY money well spent but again, save your money if you're looking for serious ponies.

-next weeks install - K&N FIPK Cold air package

kylew5 said:
installed the aluminum driveshaft today and it was easier than expected. as Spector said in an aforementioned post, tranny fluid will leak when you pull it out so be prepared to either do a refill or have a buddy ready to slip the new in.

don't expect wonders from this mod though, i'm very satisfied, but if you're expecting 15-20 ponies; save for something else. it does smooth the ride some, weighs considerably less (claims only 6lbs but felt like more), and eased the humming from my rear end after a gear and t-lok job. this is more less one of those mods you either tag team with a rear end swap or an idea you get once common mods start running low.

overall, fun mod, MY money well spent but again, save your money if you're looking for serious ponies.

-next weeks install - K&N FIPK Cold air package

Btw, tranny fluid should NOT come out when u take out ur driveshaft. Sounds like your seal is blown...no bueno amigo...then again maybe im wrong...but ive changed a few rear ends in my day on my car and ive never had tranny fluid come out there unless the seal was busted...

ganador01 said:
Btw, tranny fluid should NOT come out when u take out ur driveshaft. Sounds like your seal is blown...no bueno amigo...then again maybe im wrong...but ive changed a few rear ends in my day on my car and ive never had tranny fluid come out there unless the seal was busted...

i understand that you are "The Ganador" and all, you think you should be the next moderator and such, but i didn't change anything from the rear end there cupcake. only thing down on that end of the driveshaft is 4 bolts. no seals busted.

love,
kyle :D