Aluminum vs. Cast Iron block (331/347 Turbo)

velocity

Nov 12, 2003
Colorado
Sorry if this topic has already been covered.... I did a search and did not see anything.

I was wondering what the pros/cons of an aluminum block are compared to a cast iron one??

I am thinking of getting a new block and having a 331/347 turbo for at least 500HP. Would one block be better for this over another?

Thanks for any input!!

• Sponsors (?)

WHAT aluminum block?

there is NO production ALUMINUM block except for a VERY expensive AFTERMARKET block that is somewhere about $2800, minus machine work.

So please share this information with me(us).

500hp, get a regular 5.0 block, or upgrade to a Sportsman Ford Racing block for a piece of mind.

Dart alum blocks are about $4200. 500rwhp boosted in a stock 302 block??? Time Bomb!! Get an R block or a dart iron block if you want that 500hp to actually last and be reliable..

yellow1995Cobra said:
I dont see why people would want an alum block. Its like the boosted LS1's, they have alum blocks, and because of the heat expansion of alum, they have a very hard time keeping the heads on the block under high boost.

I thought that was only a problem when using different material in the head and block..like iron block with aluminum heads :shrug:

5.0_GT_kid said:
I thought that was only a problem when using different material in the head and block..like iron block with aluminum heads :shrug:

Iron block w/ aluminum heads is what SVT used for the 03-04 Cobras, so there must be a reason for that. I don't know why though... :shrug:

Maybe it's a good thing that the aluminum and iron expand differently. Maybe that creates a stronger seal than two like metals expanding at the same rate.Just a thought.

Sleepy McNastee said:
Iron block w/ aluminum heads is what SVT used for the 03-04 Cobras, so there must be a reason for that. I don't know why though... :shrug:

Maybe it's a good thing that the aluminum and iron expand differently. Maybe that creates a stronger seal than two like metals expanding at the same rate.Just a thought.

Very true, but at higher performance levels, I figured it would be a problem. I'm not sure though.

Thanks for all the info.... I did not realize that the Dart Aluminum block was $4200. I asked my girl friend what she thought of me getting one of those and she said "What does my new girl friend think of that?" I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard. :D

velocity said:
Thanks for all the info.... I did not realize that the Dart Aluminum block was $4200. I asked my girl friend what she thought of me getting one of those and she said "What does my new girl friend think of that?" I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard. :D

You should break it off with her and tell her she's too expensive and if you stay with her you won't be able to afford your block :rlaugh:

screw that, get a Level 10 or 20 DSS and call it good, thats all id spend on a block.

if your looking to make over 500 Hp and are serious, you should be able to afford a Sportsman.
otherwise get something you can break without crying LOL