Am I a free-thinker or, have I finaly lost it?

4bangen

Nov 3, 2004
Im looking for a new car for my wife, and when we get it the old van goes to me. I know This is not"vannet.com" but I know the 2.3L guys here are a little more open minded than most. Im thinking that this is gona be my next project! :rlaugh: Yes you are reading right... A 91 Ford Areostar hotrod! I cant deside if Im gona go with the 4.0l v6 thats in it now and just add boost! Or pull it out and drop a carberated 5.0l. I dont want to leave the A4LD in it I know that for sure. But a roots style blower on the 4.0l would be fun. The van is already pritty quick(for a van)(but its fast for a honda :D )
"Why?" you may ask... Well you may think Ive lost it, and I might have. But when I think about an areostar pushing some insane power it makes me giggle, alot.
Just pictue it, You pull up next to a white van and look over out the window of the car you think is pritty fast. You think "poor sapp! bet he feels pritty dumb in that thing" then the light turns and all you see is tail lights big-van-tail lights!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

My folks have a 90 aerostar with the 4.0. It's about as quick my 88 stang was bone stock with 90hp. :p But it has 170K miles and runs like new, and still looks great. (highway miles and a garage must be nice)
Anyway, I think the 4.0 would be a tough build without some money. It completly runs out of breath by 3500rpm.
Anyway, if you're going to do this, pull out all the dead weight you can, like all the seats behind the front, sound deadner, everything. It makes going fast much easier.

The 4.0l V-6 engines definatley have potential. If I remember correctly they are superchargable. Only advice I can conjur up is this, If you make a mini-van very fast, I'd really only use it for going straight. I saw an aerostar up on two wheels one time going around a not-so-sharp turn. I know from experience with my bronco that can be scary. (or alot of fun, depending on your mind set at the time)

realtripp said:
Isn't the 4.0L what they are using in the new base model Mustangs?

I could see at least a mild aftermarket potential there.
Yes, it is the same basic block, but it has an overhead cams now instead of a cam in the block. I doubt very many if any of the mustang 4.0 parts will be usable on the previous block since everything from the heads up is new.

does any one think that the supercharger off of a supercoupe will fit my motor?
after this I will end this thread if yall want I know I posted a v6 in the 2.3l forum but this is where I spend most of my time so i wanted to post here first.