Am I only guy here having issues withSVE LMR radiators?

As bad as we all hate it, things aren't made with quality in mind anymore. It's all about the mighty dollar. If you've noticed the local chain parts stores lately there's few repair parts to pick from. It's all cleaning supplies, phone chargers, and random junk. Vehicles are disposable items now.
It's not just car parts though. I went in Walmart (ughhh) the other day and the check out girl threw every item I had into the bags. It was so loud even the other employees were looking. She had no idea this wasn't normal though. I taught college architecture for 20 years. If we didn't give the students at least a C, the admins would go into your grade book and change any grade lower to a C. It's embarrassing. I hate to say it but 99% of my students didn't even qualify for college at all. They were accepted so as not to hurt anyone's little feelings..... And for $$$$.
I'm done now...lol.
The parts stores have more hard parts available now than ever before.

As for the students, I imagine they changed the grades so they wouldn't flunk out, and the college would collect a tuition check the following year.

I still have the same Steeda radiator I bought in 2003. It was made by C&R, and it was $375 on sale back then. Quality costs money.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

AutoZone didn't have the brake pads or two of the common gaskets I needed but lemon scented air freshener,fake stick-on chrome plated side vents and neon colored wiper blade covers,check.
I am now forever banned from my local Autozone,can't say I'm too upset.

Reactions: 1 users
AutoZone didn't have the brake pads or two of the common gaskets I needed but lemon scented air freshener,fake stick-on chrome plated side vents and neon colored wiper blade covers,check.
I am now forever banned from my local Autozone,can't say I'm too upset.
That really used to annoy me when I was an Advance manager. I understood the cleaning supplies and air fresheners; the mark up on that stuff is really high, and it's a real money maker. The profit margin on hard parts is pretty limited. But here's the deal, when someone goes parts shopping, they generally go for the low price. So you make $3 on a brake caliper, but they know that you are going to need 2 bottles of brake fluid, and they make $7 on each bottle they sell. Throw in a packet of brake lube, a can of anti-squeal, and maybe the customer will get a payday and some beef jerky at the impulse aisle, and suddenly that's a really profitable brake caliper. But the hard parts stocking was so random. 4 different grades of brake pads for an 86' Chevy compact pickup truck, but for a current model Mercedes all we can get is the low grade brake pad. There's not one person with a used Mercedes that is still worth $50k that is shopping for the low grade brake pad to save money.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
* Must keep “Mr.Hyde“ under control....Must keep Mr. Hyde under control...Must keep......

It used to be that the cheap cheesy junk was “Made in Japan” back in the 60-70’s.
Now anything from Meat, Liquor, and cars of Japanese origins are sought after.

When I was selling Consumer Electronics, Korea was the cheap junk..usually building no-name alternative TV’s, and VCR’s to the Japanese as entry level alternatives...

And again, Now Korea is building a pretty damn formidable luxury brand alternative to Lexus. “ Equus”

Its not uncommon to see countries of origin on almost anything sold in the US including Taiwan R.O.C, Vietnam, Malaysia, India, South Africa, and Mexico.
And all of that boils down to labor cost’s...Even BMW is building in Mexico..and that plant is state of the art.
And that means being in America you have the luxury When choosing anything you decide to purchase..
And that means selection..And using the one single life rule your daddies thought you..

If it’s too good to be true....it usually isn’t.

Let’s take Radiators for example.
if somebody limits themselves to shopping in an AP store, or a Brand specific specialty retailer like LMR,...you can expect two things:
1. You will pay more for less.
2. Your purchase options are limited.

Conversely..I keep saying, Summit is the go-to. That or jegs.

Summit lists 119 radiator choices for a 1990 Fox Mustang, ranging from 2500.00 for a full on Be Cool brand show quality combo, to a lowly Summit brand Chinese made universal fit unit that is right at 200 bucks.

When you purchase from these guys as I have done for 30 years now, You develop a significant purchase history, that yields outstanding customer service. With that, problems don’t exist. Buy something cheap ( like I do), and find it to be defective, they send out a new one and issue a call tag for the fcked up piece, get the second one there, and find it to have the same defect, They upgrade you at their expense. That was my experience with the red car 7-8 years ago, when the cheap Chinese radiator I had in it developed a leak coming back from MW in 2012. The radiator I purchased as a replacement was bent. It literally looked like a banana. The second was was the same. Back then, I was paying like 165.00 for the cheap ones. After the second, they upgraded me to a 300.00 Howe..picked up the banana, and shipped the new one out for free.

Stop torturing yourselves....Buy aftermarket car parts from an aftermarket supplier that dominates in choice, selection, price, and customer service.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
* Must keep “Mr.Hyde“ under control....Must keep Mr. Hyde under control...Must keep......

It used to be that the cheap cheesy junk was “Made in Japan” back in the 60-70’s.
Now anything from Meat, Liquor, and cars of Japanese origins are sought after.

When I was selling Consumer Electronics, Korea was the cheap junk..usually building no-name alternative TV’s, and VCR’s to the Japanese as entry level alternatives...

And again, Now Korea is building a pretty damn formidable luxury brand alternative to Lexus. “ Equus”

Its not uncommon to see countries of origin on almost anything sold in the US including Taiwan R.O.C, Vietnam, Malaysia, India, South Africa, and Mexico.
And all of that boils down to labor cost’s...Even BMW is building in Mexico..and that plant is state of the art.
And that means being in America you have the luxury When choosing anything you decide to purchase..
And that means selection..And using the one signal life rule your daddies thought you..

If it’s too good to be true....it usually isn’t.

Let’s take Radiators for example.
if somebody limits themselves to shopping in an AP store, or a Brand specific specialty retailer like LMR,...you can expect two things:
1. You will pay more for less.
2. Your purchase options are limited.

Conversely..I keep saying, Summit is the go-to. That or jegs.

Summit lists 119 radiator choices for a 1990 Fox Mustang, ranging from 2500.00 for a full on Be Cool brand show quality combo, to a lowly Summit brand Chinese made universal fit unit that is right at 200 bucks.

When you purchase from these guys as I have done for 30 years now, You develop a significant purchase history, that yields outstanding customer service. With that, problems don’t exist. Buy something cheap ( like I do), and find it to be defective, they send out a new one and issue a call tag for the fcked up piece, get the second one there, and find it to have the same defect, They upgrade you at their expense. That was my experience with the red car 7-8 years ago, when the cheap Chinese radiator I had in it developed a leak coming back from MW in 2012. The radiator I purchased as a replacement was bent. It literally looked like a banana. The second was was the same. Back then, I was paying like 165.00 for the cheap ones. After the second, they upgraded me to a 300.00 Howe..picked up the banana, and shipped the new one out for free.

Stop torturing yourselves....Buy aftermarket car parts from an aftermarket supplier that dominates in choice, selection, price, and customer service.
That is a good point there Mr Hyde,
That must have been hard.

Not a knock against LMR, but they could stock more parts then they currently do. For the most part, they stock a house brand part (SVE) and then 1 or 2 additional options. When you look at places like summit or kegs or the distributor themselves, there are far more parts out there available for selection. LMR just seems to be the Amazon prime of the mustang modding industry. Free shipping over a dollar amount, discount codes, and VERY good customer service make it an easy first stop when looking for parts

Oh I had an sn-95, I remember how they mount up, the frigging antilock brake deal is right in the way... I've tt a cpl of guys who were able to flip that thing around on the frame rail to make for some more room when they got a thicker radiator if that helps ya any...

And i guess I’ll just stop talking...
Summit shows 63 radiator choices for an SN 95 Mustang

Just a tad north of “3”....about 60..

Scroll through that list. Take out the factory replacements, and Chinese junk, and it's 3; AFCO, Fluidyne and Be-Cool. All of them very expensive. My 3 were Be-Cool, Fluidyne, and Griffin, in the $450 to $700 range. I didn't mention the AFCO, because it's $1200, and let's get reasonable folks. I actually made my own brackets to run a foxbody radiator in college because the SN radiators were so ridiculously expensive.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Scroll through that list. Take out the factory replacements, and Chinese junk, and it's 3; AFCO, Fluidyne and Be-Cool. All of them very expensive. My 3 were Be-Cool, Fluidyne, and Griffin, in the $450 to $700 range. I didn't mention the AFCO, because it's $1200, and let's get reasonable folks. I actually made my own brackets to run a foxbody radiator in college because the SN radiators were so ridiculously expensive.

Kurt
You forgot Afco, Dewitts, Mishimoto..Lifetime warranty = it don’t matter where is was built.
& Frostbite..That makes 7..every freakin one of them NOT chinese.

You forgot Afco, Dewitts, Mishimoto..Lifetime warranty = it don’t matter where is was built.
& Frostbite..That makes 7..every freakin one of them NOT chinese.

I mentioned the $1200 Afco. The Dewitts in the picture clearly isn't for an SN. If you click on the application tab, you'll see Mustang isn't mentioned anywhere, so that's a catalogging error. Those Mishimoto radiators were all the rage here 10 years ago. They lasted about a year each. Reference by previous post about antifreeze. It's $40 in new EPA compliant antifreeze every time you drain the system. You get what you pay for. If you do the math on that, for the 17 years I have had my C&R, I would have spent $680 in antifreeze if I bought a Mishimoto and swapped it out every year. That's pure cost, not to mention piggy back rides, lost time, inconvenicence, and labor.

Kurt

I mentioned the $1200 Afco. The Dewitts in the picture clearly isn't for an SN. If you click on the application tab, you'll see Mustang isn't mentioned anywhere, so that's a catalogging error. Those Mishimoto radiators were all the rage here 10 years ago. They lasted about a year each. Reference by previous post about antifreeze. It's $40 in new EPA compliant antifreeze every time you drain the system. You get what you pay for. If you do the math on that, for the 17 years I have had my C&R, I would have spent $680 in antifreeze if I bought a Mishimoto and swapped it out every year. That's pure cost, not to mention piggy back rides, lost time, inconvenicence, and labor.

Kurt
That’s also pure conjecture Kurt.

To say that a Mishimoto radiator fails, or will fail across the board every year, and then bolster that Trump-ism by adding in the cost of synthetic antifreeze it cost to fill them in order justify keeping your ancient OEM radiator, is like saying all 737max planes crash.
( when you and i know they’ve been flying for years before the 2 that did)

And that still doesn’t change the fact that there are more than 3 radiators available for an SN95.

In#3 I reported my LMR SVE radiator died after one year and replaced it with a Champion four row.Well guess what? It just failed in exactly the same manner,only seven months old .But it has a lifetime warranty.:)

Reactions: 1 user
That’s also pure conjecture Kurt.

To say that a Mishimoto radiator fails, or will fail across the board every year, and then bolster that Trump-ism by adding in the cost of synthetic antifreeze it cost to fill them in order justify keeping your ancient OEM radiator, is like saying all 737max planes crash.

It's scientific conjecture. There were lots of people buying them, and everyone complained about them failing very quickly. Mishimoto came back years later and offered a different type of mount for them, which increased the life of the radiator, but they still failed at some point. Which begs the question, if all these other brands are making radiators that work fine with the factory mount, why does the Mishimoto need a special set of mounts?

Kurt