Amazon and UPS....this is ridiculous

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
Ordered 4 tires from Amazon. They were shipped on the 28th 2nd day air and were supposed to be delivered on the 30th. I got 2 tires on the 30th, a third tire (after speaking with UPS) was put on the wrong truck and went to the other side of Oahu. The third tire was delivered tonight (Dec. 1st) at about 9 p.m. I check the 4th (Missing) tire and it went from California to Illinois. I am in Hawaii. It basically went 2500 miles in the wrong direction. So, I won't be able to mount my tires tomorrow like I had planned. UPS is saying "Christmas etc. etc. Short staffed etc.etc." Very irritating.

• Sponsors (?)

At least they admitted it. It stainks, but someday your getting them back. I find it a pain that these days you have to order them online to get the deal you want. Then you have to haggle with a tire store to put them on. In my area it used to be less than a hundred. Now they want upwards of one hundred fifty bucks. and of coarse no garrantee that everything will be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had stuff ordered from Amazon travel the country. Start out in a hub 50 miles away and then next time i check the tracking info it's in CA. I once shipped an item via USPS to Hawaii. I watched it go from MA to CA and then on to HI only to have it come back from HI to CA and then go back to HI a few days later. Fun times.

Best Amazon story i have. I ordered a Thule cargo box from amazon. This was a $600 item (at the time, they are crazy expensive now) and as you can imagine, it was quite large. I had the tracking info and I wanted to get home in time to receive it.

Well, i missed delivery by 10 mins. I got home to find the cargo box in the street with the box pretty much torn open and destroyed. It was like the person pushed it off the truck and just left it because the box was destroyed.

I was angry, but when I picked up the box to bring it into the garage, i found it 100% damage free. So i let it go. However, Amazon (or the delivery person) initiated a refund on my behalf, and i got the entire $600 refunded to me without needed to return the item. I didn't do anything to initiate that. Made my day right there.

• Surprised
Reactions: 3 users
I ordered some parts earlier this week from Rock Auto for my 89. I normally do not pay extra for shipping but I wanted the stuff today so I could install the stuff over the weekend. So chose USPS instead of Fedex and paid the difference. Well they shipped Fedex anyway and I will not get my parts till Monday at the earliest, which was the original estimated date for the cheapest shipping cost. Not sure if it is worth my time to complain and get the $4 back.

Last edited:
Shipping is crazy right now and about to get worse because of the holiday season. I had a package sit at the local hub for 3 days....guess I should've used prime.

Has anyone seen how bad they ramsack trains around the country ? The trucks are getting high jacked too. In saw shipping on an Amazon package leave CA....make it to TX and then all of a sudden start back in CA. I bet someone stole it off a train or truck so Amazon had to pay to get it reshaped from the supplier. They aren't going to tell anyone it got stolen or damaged in transport. The same thing happened with my lift. I believe the original one was damaged or stolen so they shipped another one and just pushed my shipping date back. It's a huge issue.

That could be the case here. Mine went to California, and then instead of heading out off the west coast to me here it suddenly was in Illinois, then Kentucky, and now it's in Ohio. I called UPS and guy on the phone was ZERO help. Just kept saying "follow the tracking, if it's moving then it's on the way".

That one single tire is about to travel further in one week than some people drive their mustangs in a whole year lol.

Choosing between ups and FedEx is like choosing whether to eat a :poo: sandwich out of the oven, or the microwave.

I’ve legitimately had had better luck with usps. Whenever that’s an option I go that route.

Because of the HUGE shipping charges we have shipping to Hawaii I have to use prime as much as possible for the free shipping. Because of that I can't choose the shipper.

I hate Ami-zone (Bezos, huge corp, labor relations, etc, etc). Rarely my 'go to'.
Few times I have the Prime "nxt day livery" never happens even tho (of course) I chose them cuz I needed it
nxt day for business reasons~
"F" em. Done (preeminently, got 2 chances & it was their main point when recruitin me).

I’ve legitimately had had better luck with usps. Whenever that’s an option I go that route.

I've had the same :poo: happen with USPS... Had a person to person package shipped from N Carolina to me (MA)... Should have been a 2 day route... It was at a postal hub about 20 min from me the next morning... Then it went to the opposite end of the state... Then made it's way to California (with various stops along the way) then back to MA.. then finally to me over a week later

It's all :poo: now a days

I've had the same :poo: happen with USPS... Had a person to person package shipped from N Carolina to me (MA)... Should have been a 2 day route... It was at a postal hub about 20 min from me the next morning... Then it went to the opposite end of the state... Then made it's way to California (with various stops along the way) then back to MA.. then finally to me over a week later

It's all :poo: now a days
I’ve had issues with all, yes. However usps just tends to be quicker and has less delays in my area, especially compared to FedEx.

My preference is usps when possible.
I think the fedex guy is opening up a construction business with all my missing milwaukee tools.
Fortunately for me home depot is so dumb that they package the free batteries separately but consider them one single package, so when the tool is found to be missing, i already have the batteries and they deem the entire order lost.

I had UPS lose a $50K shipment recently. No insurance on the package, so the max I was allowed to claim was $100. This is still pending. Have to write off the $50K as a loss.

Edit: Business shipment. $50K in sellable product. Total cost maybe $5K in materials.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
This time of year I try not to order anything. All of my lost or damaged shipments were during this tome of year.

Reactions: 2 users
Its difficult shipping for sure, and I understand the frustration, but I try to keep things in perspective, especially this time of year.

The volume of items shipped these days, especially during and post pandemic is mind boggling. How more stuff does not get lost or damaged is impressive, to me.

With the labor issues and such, I'm glad that most of my stuff arrives on time and undamaged.

Just my glass half full perspective. 1st world problems my Friends. Have a good day.

Its difficult shipping for sure, and I understand the frustration, but I try to keep things in perspective, especially this time of year.

The volume of items shipped these days, especially during and post pandemic is mind boggling. How more stuff does not get lost or damaged is impressive, to me.

With the labor issues and such, I'm glad that most of my stuff arrives on time and undamaged.

Just my glass half full perspective. 1st world problems my Friends. Have a good day.

What you are saying is really true. Most people expect shipping companies to be perfect, but a small percentage of packages get screwed up. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal if whatever you bought isn't made of unobtainium or isn't required for work.
My guess is that we have ordered upwards of 1500 packages in the last year. So if 1% gets messed up, that's 15 packages gone wrong.
There isn't even a point in complaining these days, trucking and delivery companies are churning through employees so fast that soon amazon is going to have to start rehiring people they have fired or that have quit.

There is a difference between need and want. If this were medication, i could see the frustration, but it's just tires. Not really worth a post honestly.
My f150 wheels came in 3 different deliveries, all from the same location shipped at the same time. A couple days didn't really change my life.