American Thunder Flowmaster single???

Yellowmustang4m

Mar 13, 2007
TN
Ok guys,
So I'm a girl and don't know too much about the mustang. I bought my pretty yellow 4.0 last year and have since replaced that crappy stock muffler with a single axel back American Thunder muffler? It sounds pretty quiet, even mellow as most say. I thought flowmaster was supposed to make my car sound throaty? I like it and it seems like I might have more horsepower and better gas mileage. Is there anything extra I can do to make it sound more macho?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi there, you can always attempt to go dual exhaust setup and run some kind of O/R pipe to bump up the loudness. In your case I think you should try and find some sort of O/R pipe or run some kind of boom tube or slp loudmouth muffler type which is essentially a straight pipe with no muffling whatsoever.

Thanks. I didn't want to do too much work. I wanted to leave as much stock stuff on there as possible and don't want to go with a dual system. And I don't want to wake the neighbors really, I just want it to sound nice and deep. Thanks.

I highly recommend the Mac SS Axle Back. It has exceptional sound and a nice drone. I had one on my 4.0L and loved it.

P.S. I am going to move this to the V6 Forum and hope you get a little more technical assistance from the gentlemen in there.

Mac are good for sound. The AT you have there will get louder with age. That's how Flowmasters are, you have to break them in for the sound to get louder. Got dual on my 6 and had the Flows since almost new and now the car has around 95k on it and the Flows sound louder now:D

"Not loud enough." Geez, I'm surprised. I put this very same Flowmaster single axle-back system on my 4.0 about a month and a half ago and I think it's PLENTY loud. Anymore, and I'd be complaining that it's too loud. I think it's just right, except that in certain, increased throttle situations the interior drone gets almost annoying, but over-all it's tolerable. I also believe it's got the typical, low throaty-rumbling Flowmaster sound. Makes the V-6 sound much more like a V-8. It's also plenty loud, in my opinion, and I wouldn't want it any louder....

"Not loud enough." Geez, I'm surprised. I put this very same Flowmaster single axle-back system on my 4.0 about a month and a half ago and I think it's PLENTY loud. Anymore, and I'd be complaining that it's too loud. I think it's just right, except that in certain, increased throttle situations the interior drone gets almost annoying, but over-all it's tolerable. I also believe it's got the typical, low throaty-rumbling Flowmaster sound. Makes the V-6 sound much more like a V-8. It's also plenty loud, in my opinion, and I wouldn't want it any louder....

Ever thinking about doing a dual? I know you don't want it any louder but I think all V6 mustangs should come with dual stock Single exhaust just look funny so thats why I put dual on my sixer:D

what did you do about adding a "cut-out" for the lower rear fascia?

I have a 01 V6 mustang, so the rear fascia didn't have a cut-out for the single dump. It was just smooth on the bottom. I forgot about that on the 05+ V6's:bang: Unless she wants to get a GT rear fascia then a dual would be cool. I just think all mustangs including our V6's should come with dual stock.

what did you do about adding a "cut-out" for the lower rear fascia?

Here's something odd: I just picked up a 2005 Stang 'vert, V6, AT, and it came with what *appears* to be the GT rear fascia. It already has the dual cut-outs, which I was thrilled with, if I want to upgrade to a dual exhaust.

But since I"ve never seen one single V6 with a stock 'dual' rear fascia, I thought I'd ask in here. And the carfax report indicated a very clean vehicle, so it doesn't show any signs of being a replacement part. It's possible that it is a replacement part; I just can't find any evidence of that.

You guys ever see a V6 with a 'stock' dual rear fascia?

Here's something odd: I just picked up a 2005 Stang 'vert, V6, AT, and it came with what *appears* to be the GT rear fascia. It already has the dual cut-outs, which I was thrilled with, if I want to upgrade to a dual exhaust.

But since I"ve never seen one single V6 with a stock 'dual' rear fascia, I thought I'd ask in here. And the carfax report indicated a very clean vehicle, so it doesn't show any signs of being a replacement part. It's possible that it is a replacement part; I just can't find any evidence of that.

You guys ever see a V6 with a 'stock' dual rear fascia?

Never seen that either, the dealership must of just added that for more appeal. In my area a lot of dealerships put on rims to make the car more appealing to buy. But thats cool man. You def need to get dual for sure.

While the weather is being a bit un-cooperative, I found a pic of my V6 with dual cut-outs at the dealer's site:

Attachments

• 05_stang_vert.jpg
    05_stang_vert.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 145
looks like a GT bumper to me. as long as they did a good job and painted the bumper off the car, it will be very hard to tell it was ever replaced. be thankful they did it right. another option could be that they swapped the bumper from a GT to make it a quick fix. dealers will sometimes do that...