Amsoil oil change intervals?

mattkimsey

I've compiled a list to recap this thread:
Jan 22, 2004
Bessemer City NC
I was wondering how often Amsoil should be changed, I was talking to a oil dealer and said one of their oils only needs to be changed every 35,000 :shrug: Has anyone tried this? If it last just 15,000 than it would be cheaper and less of a hassle than changing regular oil every 3,000. How often should the filter be changed? (I live in NC and the car isnt raced)

• Sponsors (?)

I run Amsoil in my F-150 with 5.4 that I use to tow and daily driver. I Change oil and filter every 7,000 miles. I don't believe in the extended intervals the companies advertise. Oil gets contaminated whether it's synthetic or not from normal operation.

there are 2 different models of Amsoil, 7500 series and 2000. the 7500 last 7500 miles, and is cheaper than the 2000 series. The 2000 series last 25,000 miles or one year. Now my recomendation is don't leave it in there 25,000 miles if you beat the crap out the motor.
I have two Amsoil dealers in my neighborhood, and one is my next door neighbor.

some of the diesel guys do run synthetics for considerable OCI's. a UOA is the ONLY way to know how the oil is doing and how much longer it might alright for.

synthetics have much better G-VII, additive and detergent packs, hence being able to run longer.

I'm with Hissin - Amsoil would likely tell you to change the filter every 3-4K, and to pull a sample and send it in for analysis to determine when the oil needs to be changed. My brother routinely gets 15-25K on Amsoil in a Powerstroke diesel before analysis indicates it should be changed. Of course, those have a much better filtration system, and they hold a boat-load of oil. Color of the oil or mileage has no predictive value at all on a synthetic's ability to protect/lubricate.

Me - I buy the least expensive synthetic I can find (Shell Rotella T for diesels) and run it in my wife's Bimmer as BMW specs synth for that engine. We change the filter every 3K, and the oil every 6k. Her oil change indicator (looks at temps, miles, revs, etc.) recommends a change every 10-12K depending on how it's driven. In mine I use a quality dino oil, or an inexpensive synth BLEND (on sale) and change oil and filter every 3K.